www.iFourWinns.com

Dedicated to Current and Future Owners
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:53 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2019 7:09 pm 
email admin your custom rank

Earlier I started a thread on winter blues. It isn't even March and yet I am ready to hit the lake.

With tax season right around the corner, I've been looking at past expenses and decided to figure out exactly how much I spent on boating last season.

http://chrisleoonline.com/how-much-a-bo ... -per-year/

I'm hoping this helps anyone wondering roughly what the annual costs are for this hobby. Of course you're not paying sales tax every year, but figure repairs and maintenance over time will even that figure out. :lol:

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2019 10:02 pm 

As you said, you are not paying sales tax every year. At least a portion of that could be deducted after the first year. On the other hand, that money may be put toward other "essential" boating equipment as time goes by. $632 in fuel, huh? The three of us burned half again that many gallons last year in our 268. 8) 8) 8) What a blast!!!

Current boat: '02 FW 268 Vista
Previous boat: '95 FW 190 Horizon

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2019 10:31 pm 

Nice write up. You only live once.... might as well enjoy it!

Definitely shop around for insurance...find a good marine insurer, I use a broker out of Michigan, Charter Lakes. They will find you a good rate with a great policy.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2019 10:43 pm 

Having your own boat also give you the freedom to stay out as long as you want, and come back whenever you want (even if its 3am) . I have owned for 22 years and I also rent when on vacation. Renting a boat is no where near as fun and you will never get a boat that is as nice as even an old boat you can buy... trust me, I've rented a lot of real dumpers when on vacation. I always wish I had trailered my own boat to vacation, but I never have. I guess my point is, if you go a lot, not only do you save money, you get a much better experience...

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2019 10:47 am 

skidaddytn wrote:
Having your own boat also give you the freedom to stay out as long as you want, and come back whenever you want (even if its 3am) . I have owned for 22 years and I also rent when on vacation. Renting a boat is no where near as fun and you will never get a boat that is as nice as even an old boat you can buy... trust me, I've rented a lot of real dumpers when on vacation. I always wish I had trailered my own boat to vacation, but I never have. I guess my point is, if you go a lot, not only do you save money, you get a much better experience...

Great points. All of the bowrider rentals I've seen were small (18') and had 4-cylinder or small outboards on them. Very basic boats.

I rented a pontoon boat for two days (kept it overnight) on Cayuga Lake. I brought it back and the marina tried charging me for a stain on the driver's seat. Fortunately I documented everything due to the bad reviews they had.