www.iFourWinns.com

Dedicated to Current and Future Owners
It is currently Wed Apr 24, 2024 12:03 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2019 3:10 pm 
Tadpole

I purchased my 2007 Horizon 200 in the spring and am now up and using it at my summer home on Lake Champlain -- very happy so far!

I bought it from the local marina who had purchased it from the oirginal owner, but he didn't supply any of the owner's manuals, either for the boat or for the engine (a Volvo Penta 5.0 GXi). I've found some manuals online and have read through them best I could, but still have some questions.

For the depth sounder, does the reading show the depth of the water or the distance of the lakebed from the transducer? Reason I ask is there is a setting that adjusts for the placement of the transducer, so you can set the shallow water warning either from the transducer itself or from the keel of the boat. Of course, that assumes I know the location of the transducer. Could someone clarify how this works and whether I will be good just using a shallow water alarm of four feet or do I need to use the keel offset?

Also regarding the depth sounder, I'm not sure I understand the need for a deep water warning -- is that to alert you that your anchor line may not reach the bottom? Lake Champlain gets up to 400 feet deep nearby so it would be sounding quite often if I had it set.

I have a couple of accessory buttons on the dash, but have no idea what they do. One lights up but the other does not, which makes me think one does something while the other is not hooked up.

Regarding keeping the boat clean -- what is generally good practice compared to being overly fastidious? For example, I have noticed up against the transom in both the engine compartment and the storage bays on either side the fiberglass is stained black -- perhaps mold? Does one want to get in there to clean?

Similarly, in the glove compartment, I noticed there is a removable panel (I've attached a couple of pictures) that opens to a larger compartment with a drain attached. It's pretty nasty looking (similar to what the engine compartment looks like). Whats' the purpose of this removable panel?

Underneath the bow cushion is a compartment with three brackets clearly designed to hold something. But what?

I'm sure I'll have more questions later, but this is a good start.

TIA!

PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2019 4:56 pm 
email admin your custom rank

Your 1st pic is the anchor locker. It's setup for a danforth style anchor.
Your 2nd & 3rd pics of the glove box area are similar to my H180 Horizon. My "glove box" can double as a drink cooler. Fill it with ice, store your drinks for later, then drain out the water. There should have been a small plug for the drain fitting in the lower left corner of your pic.

Since I don't have the same model of boat as you, I can't offer up any suggestions for your switches or the depth sounder issue, though.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2019 11:11 pm 

Google Faria depth sounder - manual is available online and you can adjust the settings.

For the mold, use "Concrobium Mold Control" spray available at Lowe's, to treat and kill the mold before cleaning.

If you look under the dash at those accessory switches, there is a very good chance they are unused. It's a stock panel used for many different boats/options, so you probably have empty switches to use for accessories you may add.

Hope this helps!

PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2019 11:48 pm 

As stated before...that bow storage tabs are to hold anchor in place so you obviously need one.

I use simple green to clean out the dash cooler and storage compartments in bow...I'm sure the ski locker looks same if they didnt clean those areas. I only use that dash cooler for dry storage of wallets, cells and keys etc. Otherwise you are dropping everything in ice when you remove the shelf...not really a splendid use item for a cooler IMO.

Your sending unit on depth finder should be in bilge beneath engine so dont worry about resetting for keel reading...its inches difference if that's where yours is mounted...mine is. Also, I deleted the deep water alarm for reasons you stated. 2 lakes i go to are over 100 feet.

For my use....I set shallow alarm at 6 feet....gives me more time to react plus if I'm towing for watersports i shut it down if i hit that shallow...if not on plane my boat and yours will spank the drive at close to 3....I want more warning.

I have 2 accessory switches also...one operates the captains call exhaust thru hull exhaust so I have one switch that is a spare. If you dont have that option then you likely have 2 open switches unless you have another option that I may not have.

Routine cleaning tips....I wipe out the wet storage areas with towel and wipe down the deck. Then I leave that cooler door propped open along with ski locker to let vent dry before putting cover on boat. I always spray vinyl and wipe down with 3m marine vinyl cleaner which I get at Academy. It cleans them nicely and keeps vinyl lubed so dont get stains from kids bathing suits.

If I use anchor in also pull that line out and let it dry before covering boat.

Oh yeah...do not leave the bimini canvass top rolled up if it is wet...for some reason the mold it grows is white and is a sumbeach to clean....I've seen it up close

08' H210SS
VP 5.7Gi

PostPosted: Sat Jul 27, 2019 12:11 am 

If you trailer and cover for storage...just remember that any lines, jackets or other wet equipment will create a mess if buttoned up wet.

Mine has a small cooler under rear lounge seat, which is useless also. The built in coolers...at least on my model which is very similar...are useless as coolers. I carry a bigger one that doubles as a foot rest for the lounge setters.

I use the dash storage for dry snacks along with keys etc as stated before. I use the rear lounge under seat cooler for ski tow ropes. If your lounge seat at stern is like mine you will likely never extend it...not user friendly to access port and starboard sides under seats. That's where I put garbage bag as there's enough reach thru from middle lift able seat to access the garbage bag.

get a good tow mirror if you dont have one and plan on towing. I got a large one that screws to top of window frame...very handy and adjustable and easy to remove/place.

Other easy clean tip is to use the disposable stainless steel polish wipes on the stainless stuff. I get mine at grocery store and keep a canister in boat along with vinyl cleaner....if handy it saves multiple climbs in and out of boat.

08' H210SS
VP 5.7Gi