www.iFourWinns.com

Dedicated to Current and Future Owners
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:07 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Aug 07, 2019 4:49 pm 
Minnow

2006 Horizon 180 Merc.
This looks excessive to me in this short video of the steering being turned left and right. Any tips to adjust this?
Thank you in advance!

https://photos.app.goo.gl/SCg6tr9FQbnNcBMc9

PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2019 1:02 pm 
email admin your custom rank

The movement you are seeing is normal. The movement you are seeing is the valve portion of the power steering system that re-directs power steering fluid to assist in turning the steering wheel.

Current boat: '02 FW 268 Vista
Previous boat: '95 FW 190 Horizon

PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2019 4:46 pm 
Minnow

That much movement is normal? Other opinions feel it is excessive and can be adjusted. I was wondering if perhaps the cable can be adjusted tighter then because together with the built in play with this valve 'design', it is ridiculous trying to keep a skier going in a straight line.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2019 4:46 pm 
Minnow

That much movement is normal? Other opinions feel it is excessive and can be adjusted. I was wondering if perhaps the cable can be adjusted tighter then because together with the built in play with this valve 'design', it is ridiculous trying to keep a skier going in a straight line.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2019 6:55 pm 

Yes, I believe that is normal for the power steering actuator. You may also look at the helm steering wheel and system. There may be additional play in the Helm steering unit or the cable. If you have a tilt steering wheel, another recommendation is to pull the boot back toward the steering wheel and look at the universal joint for the tilt mechanism. The '95 190 Horizon had that u-joint come loose to the point that the steering was sloppy and even locked up occasionally. Hope this Helps.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 09, 2019 9:57 am 
Minnow

OK I'll check that out. Thanks for the tips!

PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2019 1:24 pm 
Minnow

So this does have the tilt steering and when I look at the u-joint there is play there too. Is there a fix here or does a new u-joint help? I can't see anything unusual with it other than excessive play which all adds up..

PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2019 8:53 pm 

I'm not sure if yours is the same or similar to the '95 190 I had, but I was able to tighten the screw that held the two sides of the u-joint onto the steering wheel shaft. At one point I did disassemble that u-joint and file or grind some areas to make sure the u-joint would tighten on the steering shaft. Mine got loose enough one time that it did cause the steering to lock up. That was at idle, but it could have been a lot more serious.