www.iFourWinns.com

Dedicated to Current and Future Owners
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 5:37 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2019 1:16 pm 
Minnow

I've searched here but unfortunately photobucket has rendered many old posts useless now so I'll start a new thread.

I'm considering the Faria Depth Sounder and after debating between the In-hull mount and the Transom mount I think I'll live without temperature indications and go with the In-hull mount if it is known to work reliably. I was wondering about in-hull mounting locations free of obstructions and fiberglass core. Does anyone have a picture of a known good location for the Faria 13851 In-hull transducer? Thx!

PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2019 4:13 pm 
email admin your custom rank

These are definitely better than nothing, but they do have their limitations. I have had both types on the two boats I have had. These digital readout depthfinders deliver a weaker sonar signal than a sonar graph type unit. These transducers either require drilling a hole in the hull bottom, typically about 1- 2 feet forward of the transom and a few inches to the side of the keel centerline, or bonding them to the inside of the hull in a similar location. Mounting inside will further diminish the signal. These units do not differentiate between a hard bottom, a soft bottom, or weeds, so you may not know what is truly beneath the boat. I have been in 10 feet of water with weeds close to the surface and had the digital unit read less than a foot. Transducers rely on a smooth surface for water flow. My previous boat had the transducerimproperly mounted. The transducer was not smooth with the hull bottom. This caused disturbed water flow, air bubbles, and poor signal. The unit would lose signal at anything deeper than 10-15 feet over a hard sand or rock bottom at anything faster than idle.

I know it sounds like I am a little biased.........and I admit that I am. They are better than nothing, but do have their limitations.

Current boat: '02 FW 268 Vista
Previous boat: '95 FW 190 Horizon

PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2019 11:24 am 
Minnow

Any pictures of an installation that works best?

PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2019 3:42 pm 

I have the transom mount for my Garmin 441 sounder/gps and it works great. I think installing a transom mount is easier that the ones that mount through the hull. The ones that get glued to the inside of the bilge can work well but are a little trickier to mount than a transom mount.

2008 Walker Bay 8

1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4.0/Selectrac
2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee 5.7 Hemi/Quadradrive II

PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2019 10:49 pm 

The link below is a video that explains how to place and install the transducer...its not an entertaining watch but informative.

https://youtu.be/22SzRXa21hg

It's for a particular brand but install is same for them all...hard to say best spot on your boat as you need to test beforehand.

Mine works well...just an depth reading but it's been accurate as far as I can tell... but honestly I'm not worried about absolute accuracy over 20'...I am for less than 20 and mine has been spot on.. I rely on it to prevent bottom strikes and keeping safe depth for water sports.

For my use I set alarm to sound at 10 feet or less.

08' H210SS
VP 5.7Gi

PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2019 12:06 pm 
Minnow

Thanks guys