www.iFourWinns.com

Dedicated to Current and Future Owners
It is currently Tue Apr 23, 2024 10:04 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Fuel gauge
PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2020 12:41 pm 
Guppy

Looking for help with my 1995 Horizon 190 fuel gauge. I have replaced the sending unit however the gauge on the dashboard will never go past 1/2 full even after a complete fill up ???

Thanks

Post subject: Re: Fuel gauge
PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2020 9:40 pm 
Guppy

Have a look at the leads on the gauge make sure they're in decent shape. Check the wire run for splits or any corrosion which could cause a change in the resistance... take the gauge out shake it around a bit and test it on the bench. could have some corrosion inside that you could loosen up. next thing would be to change the gauge. I think they're like 50 bucks..

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2020 7:30 pm 
email admin your custom rank

The '95 190 Horizons, like most Four Winns Horizons and Sundowners in 95-96 had a sealed unit gauge module. All the gauges were within that sealed unit. I assume yours is that way, as mine was. I understand there is a place that does (or did) rework these gauge units. I don't recall who this is, but you should be able to do a search on this site and contact them to see if they still do these gauge units. It may take a little while to ship it, have them fix it, and ship it back. You might look at doing it in the off season, depending on where you live and how long it will take. Another approach discussed on this site was to replace the gauge unit with a different panel and individual gauges. This might require changing some electrical connections.

The gauge cluster module is very easy to remove on that boat. Under the instrument panel disconnect an electrical plug with all the wires for the gauges, and a thin black rubber hose for the speedometer. While you are there looking up, you should see a phillips-head screw just above the top center of the clear lens of the gauge cluster. While in the driver's seat, remove this screw, put your fingers in the recessed area wround where this screw was, and pull the module back towards you. You might need to tilt the steering wheel down for more room.

Below is a post I made in 2014 for a similar issue. It has a couple links to places that might be able to help.

I did a google search for "Four Winns Instrument Panel Repair" and this is about all I am coming up with so far. If you have the gage cluster style installed and it is determined to be the problem, you might try these guys in Huntsville, Alabama. It looks like they might be able to repair your instrument cluster assembly, but there may be some down time.

http://www.cdielectronics.com/dash-panel/

This website also has a troubleshooting guide that you may be able to use to verify whether the gage cluster is good or bad.

Another option might be:

http://www.nsifleet.com/service-and-repair.html

Electrical troubleshooting can be challenging when component specifications are not available. An all to common problem in boats is a bad ground circuit. You might try a temporary jumper wire from the negative battery terminal to the negative terminal under the dash to see if that helps.

The panel on my old '95 190 Horizon had a bad tach maybe 15 years ago. At that time the assembly was reworked in Mexico on an exchange basis. it was around $250 or so. I saw a price from about 7 years ago for $250, and at that time Four Winns apparently also had a modification kit that included all individual gages in a replacement panel that was prewired to plug in to existing wiring in the boat for around $500. A little more expensive........

The gage unit on mine was easy to remove. As you are sitting in the drivers seat, there is a phillips self tapping screw in the top center near the aft edge of the unit in a finger slot. A stubby or fairly short phillips screwdriver should work. Pull the top of the cluster aft and remove it. You may be able to disconnect all connections while you are sitting in the drivers seat. Hope this helps.

Current boat: '02 FW 268 Vista
Previous boat: '95 FW 190 Horizon

PostPosted: Sat Apr 25, 2020 12:02 pm 
Guppy

Surface Interval wrote:
I did a google search for "Four Winns Instrument Panel Repair" and this is about all I am coming up with so far. If you have the gage cluster style installed and it is determined to be the problem, you might try these guys in Huntsville, Alabama. It looks like they might be able to repair your instrument cluster assembly, but there may be some down time.

Oh wow! I didn't know they made gauge clusters like that! I've only seen newer ones where each individual gauge is removable... You'd probably be able to send it to a place that also repairs automotive gauge clusters, no? You might be able to get it back a bit faster that way... I cant see anything inside being much different from an automotive style other than the speedo, but thats just assuming.

Post subject: Re: Fuel Gauge
PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2020 7:52 pm 
Guppy

Surface Interval wrote:
The '95 190 Horizons, like most Four Winns Horizons and Sundowners in 95-96 had a sealed unit gauge module. All the gauges were within that sealed unit. I assume yours is that way, as mine was. I understand there is a place that does (or did) rework these gauge units. I don't recall who this is, but you should be able to do a search on this site and contact them to see if they still do these gauge units. It may take a little while to ship it, have them fix it, and ship it back. You might look at doing it in the off season, depending on where you live and how long it will take. Another approach discussed on this site was to replace the gauge unit with a different panel and individual gauges. This might require changing some electrical connections.

The gauge cluster module is very easy to remove on that boat. Under the instrument panel disconnect an electrical plug with all the wires for the gauges, and a thin black rubber hose for the speedometer. While you are there looking up, you should see a phillips-head screw just above the top center of the clear lens of the gauge cluster. While in the driver's seat, remove this screw, put your fingers in the recessed area wround where this screw was, and pull the module back towards you. You might need to tilt the steering wheel down for more room.

Below is a post I made in 2014 for a similar issue. It has a couple links to places that might be able to help.

This website also has a troubleshooting guide that you may be able to use to verify whether the gage cluster is good or bad.

Another option might be:

http://www.nsifleet.com/service-and-repair.html

Electrical troubleshooting can be challenging when component specifications are not available. An all to common problem in boats is a bad ground circuit. You might try a temporary jumper wire from the negative battery terminal to the negative terminal under the dash to see if that helps.

The panel on my old '95 190 Horizon had a bad tach maybe 15 years ago. At that time the assembly was reworked in Mexico on an exchange basis. it was around $250 or so. I saw a price from about 7 years ago for $250, and at that time Four Winns apparently also had a modification kit that included all individual gages in a replacement panel that was prewired to plug in to existing wiring in the boat for around $500. A little more expensive........

The gage unit on mine was easy to remove. As you are sitting in the drivers seat, there is a phillips self tapping screw in the top center near the aft edge of the unit in a finger slot. A stubby or fairly short phillips screwdriver should work. Pull the top of the cluster aft and remove it. You may be able to disconnect all connections while you are sitting in the drivers seat. Hope this helps.