www.iFourWinns.com

Dedicated to Current and Future Owners
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:28 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2020 1:34 pm 
Guppy

I seem to have a small oil leak that looks to be coming from the timing cover https://imgur.com/zGY5XG1. Is the chain on these engines oil bathed or am I going to have to replace my fwd crank or cam shaft seal as well as the timing cover gasket? Is this a big job? Im an aircraft mechanic by trade so i'm fairly mechanically inclined as long as i dont need any special tools for this.

thanks in advance!

Sam

PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2020 6:27 am 
Shark

Your going to have to pull the engine for this. The oil pan has to come off. No just loosening it because it isnt a steel pan. May as well replace the timing cover seal while your fooling with it it is easy and cheap.

PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2020 8:38 am 
email admin your custom rank

On some of the newer Vortec engines there were issues with the timing chain covers that are made of a type of plastic; some of these cracked and caused leaks. This is a GM part if you wind up having to replace it no need to buy it from Volvo Penta it will be cheaper from GM or any place that sells Chevrolet engine parts. There was a long thread on this on the Merc I/O forum on i boats forums. Search on the user name achris....
The 2 things I don’t like about the newer Vortec 4.3s are this timing cover issue and the problems with leaky intake gaskets which was solved in the aftermarket with better Mahle (Victor Reinz) gaskets...
These areas were not really problems on the older pre Vortec engines ....

2008 Walker Bay 8

1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4.0/Selectrac
2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee 5.7 Hemi/Quadradrive II

PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2020 1:44 pm 
Guppy

LouC wrote:
On some of the newer Vortec engines there were issues with the timing chain covers that are made of a type of plastic; some of these cracked and caused leaks.

So there is supposed to be oil behind this cover? I'm not a GM guy so I don't really know a whole lot about these engines. I guess what im asking is: What exactly is my problem here? i know its leaking but other than that i don't know what is involved.

PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2020 4:37 pm 
Shark

Problem is you got to take it apart inspect the parts. See if it is a gasket or a faulty cover. This is what it has to look like to fix the problem. There is no easier way.

Top does not need to come off but the oil pan and timing cover do. And he is correct the plastic covers are known for cracking and leaking.

It looks like it is pumping it oput pretty fast. Use a mirror and see if you can follow it to the source.