www.iFourWinns.com

Dedicated to Current and Future Owners
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 9:46 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat Jul 18, 2020 3:44 pm 
Guppy

Hey all,
First post and newbie boat owner !
Picked up a 1997 Horizon 180RS with a 5.7GL a few weeks ago. Very well maintained (but no idea how many hours). No one can believe it's a 1997 !!
Been loving it, but just wanted to validate if it is performing as it should. I don't know what kind of prop it has other than it is not stainless, and it has 3 fins. Did some hole shots and top speed runs yesterday. I got on plane anywhere from 4.5 seconds to 5.5 seconds and seemed to max out at 46mph @ around 4300rpms. Just me and the wife in the boat (I'm 245lbs and the wife is 135 ?) and a full tanks of gas. Don't tell her I posted that ;-). Been searching but can't find any performance specs to see if I should be doing better. :roll:

Andyp

PostPosted: Sun Jul 19, 2020 6:04 am 
email admin your custom rank

Don’t have numbers but maybe I’ll see you on Zoar with my 98 h200

(That’s a lot of engine for a smallish boat....your definitely Much faster than mine with the 4.3)

Newtown, CT
untitled-545 by millerjont, on Flickr

PostPosted: Sun Jul 19, 2020 10:54 am 

Agreed that boat with the 5.7 should really move. 4300 is a bit on the low side I'd try a prop 2" lower in pitch.
My 4.3/Cobra came with a 14.5"x19 which was all wrong for the boat, I used a 15x17 for years and recently switched to a 15.5x15, this puts me very close to the redline (5,000 rpm) but that's how I want it. My 200 is a big heavy boat for the little 4.3 to pull up on plane and the closer I get to the redline the better, proper prop pitch helps you all through the rpm range.
Under propping causes engine damage over the long term. Because the engine then has to struggle every time it pulls the boat up on plane. You are better off a bit higher than spec rather than lower than spec as long as you are under 5,000 wide open.
Engine damage you can see is overheating the exhaust valves due to laboring the engine. The standard GM marine engine design is not really optimal because they use the full dished pistons (why, because its simpler and cheaper for them) that cannot provide a quench effect, so they can be prone to detonation under heavy load. Quench effect pistons mirror the combustion chamber design and therefore don't give the air/fuel mix anywhere to hide and auto-ignite (detonation). But this requires 4 left side and right side pistons, (2 different part numbers and have be installed correctly) a bit more cost but worth it. The full dished piston design only requires one part number for all 8.
With the standard dished pistons, I advise propping it at the high end and using at least 89 octane gas to avoid detonation. I used 93 that's all we have at the gas docks here.

2008 Walker Bay 8

1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4.0/Selectrac
2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee 5.7 Hemi/Quadradrive II

PostPosted: Sun Jul 19, 2020 12:13 pm 

Welcome Andyp! Go to www.fourwinns.com, click on the "Owners" tab . You should find several areas of interest including brochures, owners manuals, parts catalogs. Look for your model year. Look for "Fast Facts" for your year boat. This will have a lot of Info and performance specs.

That engine should have a redline of 4800 or 5000. Fast Facts shows that boat should top out at 49-52 mph. Are you trimming the outdrive up for top end? On my 95 190 Horizon trimming the outdrive up half or 2/3rds on the gauge would increase speed at least 10mph. If you trim up too much the top speed will decrease. At normal cruise, too much trim will cause the bow to porpoise up and down. The original prop was a 14.25 diameter by 23 pitch.

Have a blast with your boat.

Current boat: '02 FW 268 Vista
Previous boat: '95 FW 190 Horizon

PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2020 9:50 am 
Guppy

Thanks for the Welcome, all the reply's and info !!! I did trim, but having said that probably need to work on my trim game. I was doing some quick blasts and really didn't focus on dialing it in. (Now that I think of it, probably didn't give it time to really whine out the rpms either).

The prop subject is pretty interesting and seems like a lot to it depending on what your going for (Hole shot / torque vs top speed vs engine load) (not to mention 3 vs 4 fins)

I saw a couple FW's out there yesterday. Probably saw you jontmiller !

PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2020 8:04 pm 
Tadpole

I am in the same postion as you I have a 93' 210 Horizon I took over from my Dad who is the original owner. My boat has a 5.7 in it and top speed for me is about 42 mph. I have a 14.5 x 12 prop, i believe and have had the same question about prop and speed.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2020 8:49 pm 

Generally, adding 2 inches of prop pitch will reduce full throttle max rpm approximately 300-400 rpm. Most props of a given make and model are made in increments of 2 inches in pitch and 1/4 inch in diameter. There are several other prop features that can affect performance and handling including rake angle, blade cupping, size of blades, material, etc.

You might also verify that the exhaust flapper valves are either in place or removed. I had one of these flapper valves fail on my 190 and caused a partial blockage of the exhaust in the transom area. This caused a loss of about 600 rpm and 10-12 mph. The OMC/Volvo systems used flappers up to around 1999, but did not install them after that. Volvo issued a service bulletin to remove them.

For Jedaz, I assume that you meant 21 inches pitch. A prop with 12 inches of pitch would be might only be able to get the boat on plane at redline.

Several of these props will have the diameter and pitch stamped on either the back or the side of the hub.

Hope this helps.

Current boat: '02 FW 268 Vista
Previous boat: '95 FW 190 Horizon

PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2020 7:53 pm 

Andyp
I have the same boat, i have had mine for around 10 years now, mine would run at 4600 rpms and top out at 49 mph, properly trimmed.
I unfortunately just had to replace my motor, bad winterization on my part. that hurt the wallet. But... i now have a great boat with a brand new 5.7l engine in it. Ok so my suggestions would be , practice your trim skills. for now with your current prop , go out and trim down all the way and go out and cruise around 25mph. slowly bring your trim up in 1 to 2 second increments. pausing each time to listen to your engine. you will also want to pay attention to your spray coming off the boat over your right sholder. as you keep bumping up the trim little by little you will hear the engine rev up and you should notice the spray moving slowing back farther to around the 4 oclock position, you will also feel the boat skip the top of the waves as well. if you get to a point where the motor sounds like the prop is slipping then your just past the sweat spot. trim it back down a hair. Does your trim position gauge work? if not no worries. you will learn the sound and feel and then know the sweet spot. I will check for sure for you on my prop sizes but i believe they(i have three) are
1. 14.5x23 , i run this one the most, great cruising prop. actually what the boats came with new.
2. 14.5x21 , another great prop, just a little less top end but more torq/ whole shot.
3. cant remember the size but its a 4 blade. I will get the size for you. This prop is a whole shot beast. it will stand the boat straight up. great for pulling tubers , skiers, ect.

I will see if i can find my fact sheet on it , someone sent it to me years ago on here.

hope this helps.
Good luck and Congrats.. Whats your color scheme. Im Red and White and grey.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2020 4:40 pm 
Guppy

Well, bent the prop today so looks like I need to land on what to put on. 15x17 or 15.5x15 seems like a big different from 14.5x23 and 14.5x21. Since Toddely has the same boat I guess i'll go with the 14.5x23. Having said that, LouC suggested going 2' down to bring the rpm's up which would put me at a 14.5x21. Just didn't realize that would cause me to loose a few mph top speed. Having said that, I'm not doing a lot of pulling tubes, skiers etc yet so I think I'd rather have the top speed than needing the torque out of the hole. So many choices and tradeoffs. If i land on a 21 or 23 pitch, what does the diameter do ? I see a 13x21, a 14.25x21, and a 15.6x21 ?

BTW Toddely It's white with Blue stripe and interior in White / Blue / Moonrock ..

PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2020 5:09 pm 

What size prop were you running?

PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2020 9:17 pm 
Guppy

Stock 14.25x23. I talked to a semi ex marine mech that by luck has the slip across from me. He suggested 14.25x21 which he said should translate to 300 more RPM's to get me closer to 5k at WOT and the 50mph top speed ;-) now I just need to find one local, Don't wanna be down this weekend waiting for a shipment. West Marine only shows 1 in stock in CT. Hopefully it's there in the morning.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2020 7:24 am 

I drove to a prop shop in Newburgh a few years ago when mine fell off (literally....failed to torque it down properly AND failed to put a decent cotter pin on it) its still at the bottom of eichlers cove behind my slip waiting for someone with a dive setup to rescue it for me :)

Newtown, CT
untitled-545 by millerjont, on Flickr

PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2020 8:03 am 

Good prop shop should be able to recondition old prop so you have a spare going forward.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 08, 2020 6:49 am 
Guppy

Ok, found a prop, Installed, but here we go with another question / issue. Old prop came off too easy. Basically spun the nut off with my hand after removing cotter pin. When I installed the new prop and started to torque it down, it seated the prop down against the stern drive casing so I backed it off. Thrust washer is there, but is it possible it, or the shaft is worn so it's seating down too far ? Nothing I find says it needs a spacer behind the thrust washer ? Looking at back of the old prop (rim) you can see is was definitely rubbing against the stern drive case. It was turning freely but must have been walking forward and backward on the shaft.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 08, 2020 7:57 am 

Are you sure that the correct spacer is installed?
With respect to rpm vs top speed keep in mind that the closer you get to the redline rpm at wide open (properly trimmed) the less strain on the engine in normal conditions. To me it’s better to lose a few mph on the top speed than to have your wide open rpm too low, always aim for the high end of their spec...

2008 Walker Bay 8

1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4.0/Selectrac
2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee 5.7 Hemi/Quadradrive II