www.iFourWinns.com

Dedicated to Current and Future Owners
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:28 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2020 9:27 am 
Guppy

Hi all! I'm new to the forum, new to the boating world, and new to my boat (well 6 weeks new). I've got several questions that after browsing in here, I know some will be able to help out. I only boat in the northern part of the Chesapeake Bay. So mostly fresh, but there is some mild salinity if I head south at all. It's also fairly shallow and easy to sand bar, especially at low tide!
Motor S/N is 4012090453

1. So I was doing preventative maintenance with the motor. The prior owner (original owner) told me he had never changed the plugs. In fairness I got the boat with only 188 hrs on it. So I changed them. Took forever to figure out what plugs to use. It had Delco 41-932 (makes me think someone changed them at some point since they weren't VP.). I replaced with Delco 41-993. Also changed the rotor and cap. There was green corrosion on both those parts and the tops of the plugs. I'm getting backfiring now. I gapped the plugs to .060 like the manual says but I'm wondering if that was right. I've seen several places say its down to .035 and other that its .045-.049. Still backfiring under load only. Always stalls a few seconds after first start and stays running after second attempt. Photos at the link below

2. Going to change the Fuel filter to see if that's part of the issue. Currently has a Racor 320R-R02. Ended up buying a VP 3847644. Prior owner went to change it and could NOT unseat the Racor filter from the housing. I haven't tried yet. Tips for unseating? Is this the right filter? That Racor has a drain at the base. The VP does not. Is that a problem?

3. Tachometer wasn't working when I bought it. About 3 weeks ago the drive trim gauge died. Don't know where to begin. Not sure what I'm even looking for in the boat. I've heard about "sending units" but no clue where to look for them.

4. The glove box and cooler/cubby console (starboard side) has fallen apart (got it this way). Prior owner said there was a recall and the dealer also switched something up with this console and eventually it just fell apart. I haven't gotten photos, but basically it seems like there should be a metal bar the runs along the base of the glove box and along the top of the lower box to support the doors and their hinges. I have the doors/hinges, but no support for them to affix to. Any ideas?

5. Are there two oil filters on this thing? One seems to be attached to the engine not far from the fuel filter (which is separated from the engine) on the starboard side, and another near the exhaust nearer the port side. Initially I though the one closer to the fuel/water filter was a secondary fuel filter (eyes are getting old) but it clearly says that it's an oil filter and that's where I believe an oil filter is supposed to be, LOL.

6. Last question. I need to change the impeller (it's also never been changed from what the original own told me). It's below the deck line in my boat and the bench support walls really make it tough to do much in the engine. Can those be removed? If so, any guidance as to how to go about that?

https://photos.app.goo.gl/sR8zYDa3zfn9YJer6

Thanks for any and all help!

Paul

2003 Four Winns 240 Horizon
Volvo Penta 5.7Gi-D w/duoprop

Engine S/N: 401209453

PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2020 9:05 pm 
email admin your custom rank

You might look at:

http://www.boatinfo.no/lib/library.html#

This will require Adobe Flashplayer 9 or later, which doesn't work with android tablets, but......this site has parts and service manuals for many, many different engines and drives. Its worth a look.

You can also look for the Volvo Penta parts manuals on the Volvo Penta website or thru www.iboat.com.

I would recommend looking for cross reference info for the correct plug part number. For what it is worth, the Volvo part number for a plug identifies an AC Delco part number also. I've seen AC plugs in AC boxes with Volvo Part numbers and labeling. It makes sense since it is a GM engine. You might lift the distributor cap again and look very closely for any carbon tracking or signs of crossfire. Also look at the plug wires.

There is one remote mounted oil filter that should be above the front edge of the left exhaust manifold.

Can't help much on the tach, but I would guess that the outdrive trim sender is bad. Look for a black circluar sender about 1.5 inch in diameter with 2 or 3 wires on tthe front edge mounted on the right side of the outdrive at the pivot hinge location. This is a rheostat that can eventually get water inside it and fail. I've had a couple fail. They are usually between $120-150. The Volvo service manual describes repalcement and adjustment.

Current boat: '02 FW 268 Vista
Previous boat: '95 FW 190 Horizon

PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2020 11:29 am 
Guppy

Thanks Surface Interval. I've tried using the library at boatinfo.no , and it is really rough to get info from the manuals for my engine there. Each page needs a lot of time to download and open. :cry: I've tried with three different browsers too, hoping that was the issue.

I've found a spark plug "kit" at the VP store. (pn 21467472) and went in to a local dealer to look at the plugs. No help there.
Marineengine.com says that the Champion plugs are RV15YC4 and suggest the gap at .035-.045 (which is different from the manual at .060)
Really not wanting to use Champion plugs though.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2020 1:23 pm 

Since this is a Vortec engine you need to look up the AC Delco part number for the plugs for the 5.7 Vortec engine. The plugs are different than for the pre vortec and the change over in engines happened between 1996-1998 or so. Vortec has 8 bolts holding down the intake, the pre vortec has 12 bolts. It is much cheaper to source them from an auto parts store, online or other marine retailers. VP will charge you thru the nose for them like they do for everything else.
As far as the fuel filters you can use a normal water separating filter like the Sierras widely available in the aftermarket. The Racor is actually a superior filter but they can be tough to get the filter off the metal bowl which is re-usable.
Other questions I can't really answer, I don't know the later model VP electronic ignition and EFI systems. I'm good with old school stuff like points distributors and carbs though...

I think the AC Delco part # you need is AC-MR43LTS

https://www.amazon.com/MR43LTS-compatib ... CT2RE3AT2M

remember its a GM marine engine Volvo only adds on their bits to it...

2008 Walker Bay 8

1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4.0/Selectrac
2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee 5.7 Hemi/Quadradrive II

Last edited by LouC on Thu Jul 23, 2020 1:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2020 1:27 pm 
Guppy

Thanks LouC. I didn't realize this was Vortec. Is that simply the auto name for this motor?

PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2020 7:12 pm 

My volvo 5.7 Gi-B has AC Delco 41-101 plugs in it. These are an iridium tip plug which last longer like modern automotive plugs. I have seen the Volvo P# 21467472 and the ACDelco P# 41-101 on the same spark plug packages. These are readily available through your auto parts store or on line.

Current boat: '02 FW 268 Vista
Previous boat: '95 FW 190 Horizon

Last edited by Surface Interval on Mon Jul 27, 2020 7:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2020 10:30 pm 

rickert wrote:
Thanks LouC. I didn't realize this was Vortec. Is that simply the auto name for this motor?

Not specifically auto, the Vortec name signifies an improved cylinder head design that added about 25-30 hp.
This was a minor update to the tried and true small block Chevrolet that was introduced in 1955, and built well into the 90s for automotive use. The original design was updated to Vortec heads and continued for industrial and marine use whereas the auto version was again redesigned and refined much further.

2008 Walker Bay 8

PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2020 11:50 am 
Guppy

Any clue how sand might end up in the distributor?

https://photos.google.com/u/1/search/_tra_/photo/AF1QipNUBCLfzsql9hP97mXA6-_j_7wPyzGDVpSAixdF

PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2020 2:39 pm 

Are you sure the boat never sank?

2008 Walker Bay 8

PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2020 3:28 pm 
Guppy

I don't believe it ever sank. The prior owner didn't say it had. And I don't see evidence of it (- maybe other than sand in the distributor? LOL)

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2020 7:42 am 
Guppy

Well looks like the prior owner had an oil filter hooked up behind the fuel pumps rather than a fuel filter. Guess that's one to get changed out quickly.
https://photos.google.com/u/1/photo/AF1QipP4x_9dgLKS7LMCHvpmNu3hm-V2IZ9Zyqs7KuIa

That filter is is what is at the lower center of the pic here https://photos.google.com/u/1/photo/AF1QipMR1IEakFuN5PSl7COuCx1a64WV3PLbo9Haae90