www.iFourWinns.com

Dedicated to Current and Future Owners
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:09 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: 190 Horizon
PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2020 8:30 pm 
Minnow

Hello everyone. New to boating and new to the forum. Just bought a 1995 5.0 Cobra 190 Horizon. Shes older but in great condition.
I'm looking for good service manuals and also good online parts suppliers but am getting confused with all the brands that seem to be involved. Cobra, Ford, Volvo Penta, OMC.....I cant seem to unscramble it all.

The Models are:
Engine 502APHUE
Transom 3868175
Drive 3868156

Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks
George

Post subject: Re: 190 Horizon
PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2020 10:45 am 
email admin your custom rank

https://www.crowleymarine.com/johnson-evinrude/943.cfm
OMC parts list

http://www.volvopentastore.com/Marine-G ... _id.765229
Volvo parts list

these are parts sites that list original equipment parts, what you have is a Four Winns with the joint venture OMC/Volvo drive system, good news because parts are available from both OMC (sold by Bombardier Rec Products) and Volvo Penta...
Engine is Ford, drive is the cone clutch OMC/Volvo unit that is the same basically as a Volvo SX.
so parts are available from either OMC (Bombardier) or Volvo Penta.
What happened was that OMC had built the original Cobra drive, from '86-->'93. OMC owned Four Winns back then so most late 80s and early 90s Four Winns boats came with OMC drive systems. They were running in to financial problems due to mismanagement etc. Volvo was building sterndrives for many years but their system was very different from Merc's and OMC's and the cut out in the stern of the boat was much bigger. They wanted to come up with a standardized stern drive design using a standard cut out and went into a joint venture with OMC. So what they did was basically re-engineer the OMC Cobra from dog clutch shifting (like a Merc Alpha drive) to cone clutch shifting. These were sold as the OMC Cobra and Volvo Penta Cobra SX. Started in '94 and then by '98 Volvo bought out the rest of OMC's interest in the stern drive division. So after that they were all Volvo. Good news is you can get Volvo parts to service yours.

Shop manuals are out there you can search on ebay for them, I have found the OMC manuals to be very good more detailed than Volvo's are.

2008 Walker Bay 8

1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4.0/Selectrac
2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee 5.7 Hemi/Quadradrive II

PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2020 4:16 pm 

You might also try the following site using a computer (tablets don't seem to work with that site). It contains factory service manuals for most brands and models of engines and drives (inboard, I/O, and outboard).

boatinfo.no

Which engine, carbureted or fuel injected? Generally, the Volvos are quality units. They are a little more expensive in the parts cost area.

I had a '95 190 with the 5.0 Fi (Ford 5 liter fuel injected) engine with the Sunsport interior. We put over 2100 hours on it over 18 seasons with very little trouble. The engine and outdrive worked great and were never opened up for repair. We did replace plugs and some normal tune up items. we pulled the outdrive to inspect and grease u-joints every year, andchanged engine and outdrive oil every year. Thefactory originally recommended 30 wt petroleum oil in the engine and 80W90 gear oil in the outdrive. Volvo later changed recommendations to 15W40 synthetic (Mobil 1) for the engine and 75W90 Mobil 1 for the outdrive.
Issues I had were:
1. An exhaust flapper valve caused an exhaust restriction and loss of power. There is a Volvo service bulletin to remove these as being not necessary.
2. The driveshaft bellows wound with a hole allowing water inside the bellows twice. This was corrected before any corrosion or damage occurred to the driveshaft or related parts.
3.. I had to have the instrument panel cluster repaired because a gauge stopped working.
4. I did have the outdrive start to leak a little water into the bilge. The fix is to pull the outdrive and transom shield off the back of the boat. This may also require pulling the engine. An alternative was to seal the outdrive to the transom with a bead of 3M 5200. Look at the transom around the outdrive (inside and out) for any signs of water leakage and for any wood rot in the transom.

We had a blast with that boat, and hope you will with yours.

Current boat: '02 FW 268 Vista
Previous boat: '95 FW 190 Horizon

PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2020 8:07 pm 
Minnow

Thanks guys for the information. Its encouraging that your 95 was a solid boat.
Mine is the 5.0L carb version.
Used boat with a few issues that Im slowly fixing. Depth guage works intermittently, the Trim gauge doesn't work, and the fuel gauge needle rocks back and forth by more that a 1/3 tank while moving.

Other than that I'm happy.

I do have one question that I have posted in a different section of the forum. The trim sending unit...It doesnt look like the drive housing comes into contact with it as it goes up and down. Therefore is doesnt rotate the arm of the sender.
Any thoughts on this?
thanks
G.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 12, 2020 10:20 am 

The in-dash digital depth gauge was always prone to limitations. Mine didn't always read correctly for several reasons.
1. The in-dash unit did not have a lot of sonar power.
2. the transducer is mounted thru the bottom of the hull and may not be flush with the hull surface (mine wasn't). It is also in an area of approximately 17 degrees deadrise so the already weak sonar signal is trying to read the edge of the sonar signal rather than a stronger signal near the center of the signal cone.
3. The digital depth finders cannot distinguish between a firm rocky or sand hard bottom, a soft mucky bottom, or weeds.
4. Because of the weaker signal strength and other factors listed, our unit would usually read bottom down to 40-50 feet while at idle speeds. On plane the unit would lose bottom and not read correctly at depths greater than 15 feet over a hard bottom or any time over a soft mucky bottom.

We installed a smaller GPS/Chartplotter and were much better off.

For the fuel gauge, the most accurate reading will be while the boat is stationary or at slow displacement speeds. This is very common on most boats. You say the needle fluctuates. Was the water rough at all to cause the fluctuation? I assume that is with less than a full tank of gas. Because of typical placement of the fuel quantity sending units and the change in bow up attitude on plane, the fuel gauge will rarely read accurately on plane. I have seen the gauge read over 1/2 tank on plane, but less than 1/4 when I slowed down to idle. Any thing less than glassy smooth water would cause gauge fluctuations.

Current boat: '02 FW 268 Vista
Previous boat: '95 FW 190 Horizon