www.iFourWinns.com

Dedicated to Current and Future Owners
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:52 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2020 6:30 am 
Tadpole

I'm considering purchasing a 2006 Horizon 200. It's in really great shape and less than 100 hrs on it.
Unfortunately the seller has no service records for the boat so I have no idea how it's been treated, stored or maintained, other than they just changed the oil and fuel filter.

Would appreciate any input -

- Any advice on things I should look for or maintenance/service I should make sure to do on this vintage if I do decide to make the purchase. I'd like to negotiate that into the price.

- It has a MerCruiser 5.0L. Was there only one MC model put in that boat or are there different HP engines available? I've seen conflicting info online of a 220HP vs 250HP engines. I have the model/serial # if that tells more.

- NADA shows a price of $13.8K for my area (North Carolina) w/ trailer and cover. That sound about right?

Thanks!

PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2020 5:30 pm 
email admin your custom rank

can't speak to yours as mine is quite a bit older (98) but there are multiple threads on buying advice. If your serious work out a price and pay for a pre-buy inspection marine survey or at a minimum get someone else familiar with boats motors and such to take it for a ride on the water.

All that said I purchased mine without an inspection just a sea trial and gut feeling....8 years later its still working out for me.

Newtown, CT
untitled-545 by millerjont, on Flickr

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2020 4:32 pm 

These are good boats but it is 14 years old so you do want to check maintenance records to make sure things were done on time like winterizing, fluid changes and servicing the drive unit including bellows, u joints and gimble bearing. Make sure the engine runs right because sometimes problems crop up with the fuel injection systems used by both Volvo and Merc and they can be difficult and expensive to put right, compared to working with carbs on older boats.

2008 Walker Bay 8

1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4.0/Selectrac
2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee 5.7 Hemi/Quadradrive II

PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2020 9:03 pm 
Guppy

almost 15 years old and less than 100 hours seems too good to be true. Thats less than 7 hours a year. I'd be skeptical unless the outdrive and bilge looks immaculate (no corrosion, no nicks on the skag, no oil or residue in the bilge, etc...)

PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2020 9:45 pm 

I'm at 140 hours and it's a 2008 model.....got it in 2010 with 18 hours on it.

So it can be a low hour boat, which is great if well maintained. Life has been busy but I've routinely started, swapped fluids and filters and winterized despite low hours each year.

I do my maintenance myself, but keep receipts for materials as some kind of record.

These are electronic hour meters so hard for them to bypass....check for oil staining on dipstick and residue buildup on inside of oil fill caps (both sides). Will oil fill caps removed, shine flashlight into valve cover and see if you see dark oil staining or buildup. These areas should all be crystal clean with those hours and oil maintenance done on regular basis.

Pull dipstick on top of outdrive and look at oil....rotate prop and see if it's an even spin...it will click if in gear so dont panic, just throw in nuetral (motor off obviously).

The issues (not with just these models) are:
1. Fuel pump which gets spanked by ethanol. If ya crank it up on muffs or during trial and you hear a high pitched whine...that's the fuel pump about to lay it down. Rebuilt good unit is about 500 to 600 with core exchange, but doable yourself. I've done it twice....damn ethanol.

2. The stearing ram seals like to leak. Damn near impossible to see them and forget touching them unless your stretchy. Look for reddish power steering fluid in bilge....or...stick white rag or finger in bilge drain hole and feel for oil. Mine leaks and I dont care because I will keep filling topping it off before swapping that out....unless it spews!....only leaks when sitting up long periods though.

The 5.0 is a good setup....not sure if 5.7 was option for the 200, but that's a pre cat converter boat which is good.

08' H210SS
VP 5.7Gi