www.iFourWinns.com

Dedicated to Current and Future Owners
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:29 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Trim Tab advice
PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2020 5:26 pm 
Guppy

I just bought a 2001 Four Winns Horizon 230. It lists to starboard a little, both batteries are on that side, which doesn't help.

I'm looking into installing trim tabs and was wondering if you have already and which ones fit the transom and where? I have the swim platform which takes up some space on the transom but I think I've seen them installed left and right of the where the outdrive is mounted instead. Due to space, I'm not sure specifically which work and where?

Bennett or Lenco? Is it a big job, I'm pretty handy but do I pay to have them installed?

Never owned a boat before so any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Post subject: Re: Trim Tab advice
PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2020 2:32 pm 
email admin your custom rank

Does it list at rest or while driving? Does it plane okay or is it slow to get up on plane?
If it's just listing at rest and you can get on plane fine then move a battery or get a lighter battery like an AGM.
But if you are trying to fix the list and get on plane better then maybe both install trim tabs and move a battery or get an AGM.

I say move the batteries because a list really bothers me. I guess I am ocd about that. Our 258 had a list at rest and I mostly corrected it by replacing the 2 heavy lead acids with 2 lighter AGMs. I also corrected a large list on my current boat by installing bigger and heavier batteries and it worked out great having the extra capacity too.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2020 6:25 am 
Guppy

It lists to starboard, which is where the two batteries are, right under the rear entry step. It’s most noticeable when a person is driving the boat and slightly when docked. My concern is when I haves every people in the boat and not worrying about where people are sitting and asking people to move all the time.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2020 7:57 am 
email admin your custom rank

Sounds like tabs is the way to go for what you want while driving. At rest the only way to offset the list is moving weight or lightening up the side. If you are close to needing new batteries look into Optima AGM batteries. I shed almost 60lbs moving to these batteries and they are the same capacity, with the obvious benefit of AGM tech.
Both tab brands you mentioned are great. I have had 2 boats with Bennett tabs that work great(anecdotal, I know). Their customer service reputation is excellent.
I recommend giving the company a call about your installation questions before purchasing anything. They should be able to help you select the right size and the best way to mount them.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2020 8:07 am 
Guppy

babbot1 wrote:
Sounds like tabs is the way to go for what you want while driving. At rest the only way to offset the list is moving weight or lightening up the side. If you are close to needing new batteries look into Optima AGM batteries. I shed almost 60lbs moving to these batteries and they are the same capacity, with the obvious benefit of AGM tech.
Both tab brands you mentioned are great. I have had 2 boats with Bennett tabs that work great(anecdotal, I know). Their customer service reputation is excellent.
I recommend giving the company a call about your installation questions before purchasing anything. They should be able to help you select the right size and the best way to mount them.

Thank you, I really appreciate it.