www.iFourWinns.com

Dedicated to Current and Future Owners
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:16 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2021 12:15 pm 
Tadpole

Hi Everyone,
Last year I purchased a 2008 H240. I now found that the drain from the ski locker is blocked by the gas tank and will not drain. Reading other posts here, I thought that maybe that the gas tank had shifted but there is no evidence of this happening as all of the factory installed gas tank brackets have not moved.
This is a problem because the tank is pushed against the drain hole from the ski locker not letting any water in the ski locker to drain.

I am assuming i will need to move the tank but I wanted to ask if anyone has had this problem and can recommend a fix?

Thanks in advance
Chad

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2021 5:29 pm 
Shark

Jam a coat hanger in there. May be just stuff in the hole. Mine had a nut a squirrel was kind enough to stuff in there.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2021 9:09 pm 
email admin your custom rank

If the tank is pushed against the drain hole then it must have shifted, I don’t think they would have designed it that way since you can see it’s causing this problem. Either that or the workers putting it together were just plain sloppy and didn’t locate it properly before securing it. I’d see if you can relocate the tabs that hold it in place and slide the tank back so the ski locker drains. Might have to drain the tank down if it’s more than half full. I would not just put screws into fiberglass with no backing pieces either, the screws will pull out and the tank will slide forward. You might have to improve on what the factory did. Wood backing for the screws or blind fasteners.
On my old ‘88 the aluminum tank had 4 tabs welded on that were screwed into wood strips that were screwed into the main stringers. Lousy cheap work it all rotted over time. When I re did the deck and fixed the stringers I used mahogany stock for the gas tank mounts and the supports under the gas tank hatch. This has lasted 15 years and is much more solid than their original crappy construction.

2008 Walker Bay 8

1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4.0/Selectrac
2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee 5.7 Hemi/Quadradrive II

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2021 10:13 pm 
Tadpole

Thanks LouC,
i am thinking you are right about the fact that it came from the faction you this way. I see no evidence of the tank shifting. So I will have to relocate the brackets thanks for the reminder not to drill only into the fiber glass backing will be essential to hold that much weight.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2021 12:33 pm 
email admin your custom rank

https://www.dropbox.com/s/dya1kwrl180vx ... g.jpg?dl=0

if you look closely you can see what I did, this is from when I had the stringers repaired and replaced the deck in 2006-2007. I used mahogany because it does not rot and I take off that hatch every couple of years to check the tank and hoses and it still looks the same as when I installed it nearly 14 years ago. The mahogany strips are screwed into the main stringers and the tank mounting tabs are screwed into the mahogany. Then I used angled stainless steel brackets to secure the cross supports for the hatch. The original construction was cheap pine that rotted easily.

2008 Walker Bay 8

1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4.0/Selectrac
2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee 5.7 Hemi/Quadradrive II