www.iFourWinns.com

Dedicated to Current and Future Owners
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:17 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed May 26, 2021 5:53 pm 
Tadpole

I thought I should start my own thread on this topic. I'm looking to replace the prop on my Horizon 170. Can someone tell me what prop would have been stock on this boat when it was new. There are no markings on the prop that's on the boat that I can make any sense of. Looking for the diameter and pitch if someone can help me out.

Thanks, Ron

PostPosted: Thu May 27, 2021 8:39 pm 
email admin your custom rank

The original prop should have been a 14 1/4 dia. x 21 inch pitch. The Volvo/OMC outdrive propshafts and props have a different number of splines than Merc and other brands. I believe the Merc has 15 splines, and the Volvo has 19 splines.

Go to the www.Fourwinns.com site and click on "Owners". Select the year. You can find a lot of general info for your boat in "Fast Facts", Owner's manuals, Parts catalog, sales brochure info, merchandise, and more.

The Fast Facts identified the 14 1/4 x 21 prop. This is a common size prop that has been used in many different boat/engine combinations. Volvo/OMC changed the gear ratio in the outdrive to work with different engine power choices.

Current boat: '02 FW 268 Vista
Previous boat: '95 FW 190 Horizon

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2022 6:48 pm 
Tadpole

Ok so I kind of figured it out. Turns out the complete drive system has been replaced. The engine and drive is actually a 1988 3.0 OMC cobra and not the original drive train at all. If anyone has this drive system in a similar weight hull (2000 lbs) I'd appreciate suggestions on propellers.

Thanks for the help, Ron

PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2022 4:10 pm 
email admin your custom rank

That does seem odd, someone had a 2000 Four Winns and put a 1988 Cobra drivetrain in it?
Anyway you can find that same information in the same place, look for the fast facts publication for that year and it will list the standard prop. I found out that my boat which came with a 14.5x19 was actually supposed to have a 15x17 prop on it. I later switched to a 15.5x15 for better acceleration, although it does limit top speed.

2008 Walker Bay 8

1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4.0/Selectrac
2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee 5.7 Hemi/Quadradrive II