www.iFourWinns.com

Dedicated to Current and Future Owners
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 1:47 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2022 9:17 am 
Tadpole

Hello! Looking for a recommendation on a source/supplier for a gimbal bearing for my 2000 170 Horizon 4.3L (Volvo/Penta Outdrive). This is the 4.3L GL/SX combo.

I'm comfortable with tackling this from the mechanical side, but I'm still pretty new to boats. So I'm not really sure who are the reputable brands for critical parts like gimbal bearings, or where is a secure and reputable place to source them.

If this were a vehicle, I know I'd be looking for a brand like Timken/SKF and sourcing from a major dealer like Rockauto or Summit Racing.

So basically, what brands or sources should I be looking at for a critical part like this?

Thanks,
Jay

PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2022 6:31 pm 
email admin your custom rank

You can go OEM Volvo or Sierra. Either will work well. Make sure to use the correct installer tool or else you will ruin the new bearing. I prefer greasable vs permanently lubed bearings.

2008 Walker Bay 8

1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4.0/Selectrac
2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee 5.7 Hemi/Quadradrive II

PostPosted: Mon Feb 14, 2022 1:16 pm 
email admin your custom rank

There are plenty of good (and bad) videos out there that can help you have that 'not first time' feeling as well. While not required the generic pullers out there make it a quick(er) job. If your around CT you can borrow mine.

Newtown, CT
untitled-545 by millerjont, on Flickr

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2022 12:34 pm 
Tadpole

A little late, but thanks for the info, and thanks @jontmiller for the offer. I do a fair bit of hobby work myself and have the usual slide hammer pullers and installers, so I should be good to go.

Looks like Sierra 18-2100 is a greasable bearing. Is there an option for non-greasable? I'm curious. My external zerk fitting on the outdrive housing is heavily rusted, and I don't think it's usable, and it might not be repairable...I might have to plug the hole if I can't cleanly remove it. I'm wondering if I should just go with a sealed option, potentially. I can't find that specific Sierra option, though.