www.iFourWinns.com

Dedicated to Current and Future Owners
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 9:58 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: A fond farewell
PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2022 8:15 am 
email admin your custom rank

I was trying to post photos but the BB code from either flickr or this board is messed up.

So yesterday I sold the boat. After several years of thinking I should put a for sale sign on it, and several years of genuinely enjoying the boat, particularly weekend trips to Lake George NY. Although the old girl NEVER gave me a hint of upcoming trouble, I have had the nagging feeling something big is coming. 880 hours on the engine, in my 11 years it was never opened up and nothing more than a tune up over the years. Coupled with an upside down world that fetches 70% more than I paid for the boat 11 years ago it was time to let it go.

This forum, particularly the folks that helped me out when I was new with the boat, both with their answers and sharing experiences that made my job easier. Lou C in particular really made the last 11 years possible, from reading his thorough winterizing guide to the helpful back and forth when the motor was hydro locked/broken starter fiasco, to the yearly little things that folks take the time to answer.

While I would be a good consultant on another boat purchase....it won't happen until I get a lake house, or a friend with a lake house/boat lift and a few thousand sq foot boat house to relax in.

What is that quote about the best and worst day of boat ownership?

Be safe everyone,

Jon Miller
1998 Four Winns Horizon H200
VP 4.3GL

Newtown, CT
untitled-545 by millerjont, on Flickr

Post subject: Re: A fond farewell
PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2022 7:16 pm 

Wow well of course we all come to this point, I have had the same thoughts with my now 34 year old boat, even though the structure was partially rebuilt 15 years ago, I still wonder about possible rot in the transom or motor mounts, etc. I have had the same thought, selling before something big happens, I do have the patience to keep fixing things but by the same token it prevents you from getting into other things. As in, I've been a lover of muscle cars since I was a kid, but never owned one. Closest I have come is my '07 5.7 Hemi powered Jeep. No room to put any more vehicles on our property so if I want to buy one before I'm too old something has to get sold!
wishing the best to you Jon, its been fun solving mechanical problems, especially how you fixed that starter bolt!
Main reason why I haven't sold it is because we live in a beach community, with the harbor literally behind my house, so it seems strange to not have a boat. However, I could always get back into it, if I chose to sell.

2008 Walker Bay 8

1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4.0/Selectrac
2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee 5.7 Hemi/Quadradrive II

Post subject: Re: A fond farewell
PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2022 7:31 am 

Congrats on the sale. We got out once think it lasted a year. When its in your blood there is not much you can do.