www.iFourWinns.com

Dedicated to Current and Future Owners
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 10:08 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2022 10:56 pm 
Tadpole

I own a 2003 Four Winns 170 Freedom with the 115 HP Yamaha outboard. Fantastically reliable and easy to work on outboard, but it's really quite a bit underpowered for this boat. The swap to a 150 HP Yamaha, whether the dual carb 150 or OX66 FI version, is a pretty simple affair for the DIY'er. I'd need a 20" shaft length version that matches my 115, but the controls and steering interchange. Pretty close to plug and play.

Has anyone done this swap before, whether Yamaha or Evinrude/Johnson/etc, and if so, can you report your findings? Was it worth the effort? Is there anything detrimental that I might not not considering, that you had issue with?

From what I gather, the 115 weighs about 320lbs, and the 150 is about 100lbs heavier. Does anyone think that's a significant issue?

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2022 2:54 pm 
Shark

That is the biggest motor it is allowed to have legally as a outboard. The 115.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2022 3:39 pm 
Tadpole

There are no Coast Guard regulations against exceeding the safe loading capacity, however, there may be State regulations or restrictions from your insurance company which prohibit this. In my case, my state has no regulations and my insurance company has formally stated they don't care. So, it's at my discretion. I don't view exceeding the horsepower rating with a 150 hp outboard here as a safety issue for me within my expected realm of operation. I just want the boat to plane faster and be more responsive, outside of the little tweaks available via prop changes, etc.

With that said, does anyone happen to have any input on my original question? I'm curious if others have been down this or a similar path. I'm sure someone on here wanted to repower an older 2-stroke with a 4-stroke for efficiency and modernity reasons, and even at the same power level ended up with an extra 75-100lbs on the stern.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2022 4:27 pm 
Shark

LOL I did the right thing I said it. But if it was me that thing be on there already. I/O got more power than that.