www.iFourWinns.com

Dedicated to Current and Future Owners
It is currently Mon Apr 29, 2024 7:51 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2006 7:57 am 
Tadpole

I am looking at potentially purchasing my first boat. I will be using it to cruise around the lakes and pull some tubes and an occaisional skiier.

I had a friend recommend I get the Quick and Quiet exhaust. What does this option gain me and what has been your experiences with it?

With the 210, what power package have you found works best. I was considering the 5.0 GXi SX w/ 270hp.

Any other pointers for the newbie?

Thanks in advance for any help!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2006 2:34 pm 
230 Mike

Welcome to the board!

As to engine choice, always buy the biggest you can afford. No one ever said, "I just wish I didn't have so much power."

As to the thru-hull exhaust, you will not get any detectable power or speed benefit from it with any of the small block engine choices available for that boat. If you love the sound, and you don't boat where there are noise restrictions that will limit its use, and you don't mind having it make a little extra noise even when turned off, then go for it.

Most wives and little kids hate it, it'll do nothing for you power-wise, and it'll be one more maintenance item down the road.

Whatever you do, though, keep us posted and be sure to post some pics when you get it!

Mike
2005 Four Winns 230/240
VP 5.7GXi/DP
1998 F-150 XLT
Boat Pic

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2006 10:04 pm 
Tadpole

My '05 Horizon 190 was renamed this year's 200, so its about 1 ft. shorter than what you are looking at. Mine is a great boat and the family loves it. I have the 4.3 GXI with 225 hp, which allows us to do everything we need (skiing, tubing, etc.) even when fully loaded. No complaints about power whatsoever. The 5.0 GXI will easily handle the extra foot.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2006 8:53 am 
Sting Ray

I bought the '06 210 this year with the sunsport seating. Mine has the 5.0 GL (220hp). I believe the primary differences in my engine, and the GXi are:

GXi is fuel injected
GXi is 270 hp
GXi has more on-board diagnostics
GXi is $5000 more

I had some problems earlier this year relating to the carb, so there were a few times when I wondered if the GXi would have been a better choice, but since the problems have been fixed, I am happy with my engine.

As far as power, the 220 horses we are pushing are plenty for us. We boat with our 2 small kids (6 & 2), and pull tubes all over the place. We also typically have another family with us with their 2 kids, and never complain about power.

I will add though, that when you have other folks on board, they tend to want to have conversation while you are trying to maneuver as efficiently as possible to the designated waypoint. This typicall results in my 'rear admiral' ordering me to slow down so she can talk. Might want to keep that in mind.

I do not think I have reached top-out-speed yet on my boat. I don't try when kids are on-board, but a buddy and I went out one afternoon and had it up to 52 with a little left over. I imagine 55 would be max - and that is plenty of speed at least for me.

Enjoy it!