www.iFourWinns.com

Dedicated to Current and Future Owners
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 5:42 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: New H170 owner
PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2023 5:11 pm 
Guppy

I'm a new owner of a 1999 H170. Boat was a little neglected, so the price was very attractive. But, despite neglect, it appears to be in very good shape. Oil looks like it's never been run, filter looks clean, engine compartment cleaned up nicely, and when I got it started on muffs, the exhaust water was "foamy" so it had been winterized. Fuel tank had about 2 gallons of dark brown fuel and some water, pumped that out and chased it with another gallon of clean fuel (pumped on the tank side of the filter, so didn't muck that up). Boat had the covers on, and they are intact, so the inside is very clean.

So, as a new owner getting ready to launch in the next couple weeks, any suggestions?

One issue I've yet to resolve is the fuel gauge. I've added 15 gallons so far (5 at a time) to the 24 gallon tank, and the gauge still reads 1/8. I've shorted the sender wire to ground, and the gauge pegged to full, so the gauge is good. Any ideas where to look for the sender? Under that big floor panel under the sundeck?

I'm a long time distance sailor, and do 99% of all my own work on the sailboat, but power boats (other than the dinghy) are new to me.

Post subject: Re: New H170 owner
PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2023 8:30 am 
Guppy

Another question. I briefly owned a very tired old Renken years ago, and it suffered from various rot. As I recall, it had rotten stringers and rot in the cockpit floor. This boat has no visible wood in the construction -- the cockpit is a glass insert, the transom has too many twists and turns to have a sheet of plywood buried in there.

So, the question. Is there any structural wood (or wood at all!) in the construction of a 1999 H170?

Thanks,

Harry

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2023 8:28 am 
email admin your custom rank

Based on my understanding and from discussions here on this forum, it was around the late 90's that FW went to a full fiberglass hull. I have a '99 H180 and the only wood in it (besides seats and trim forms) is the battery/oil tank deck platform under the rear seat. But I have an outboard on mine so my setup is going to include things that an I/O won't. You should be good on the "no wood" concern with your H170.

As for your gas tank, your hull should be similar to mine and the tank is in the floor under that removable panel. The sender should be right there on top. It's kind of generic-looking so you should be able to replace it fairly easily. I would measure the float arm before purchasing so you have an idea of what size to get, if that's needed (I've never ordered a sending unit before).

Other than that, I would try to keep your initial outings close until you can confirm the "new" boat's reliability. Or run with another boat, just in case. You won't really know until you put it thru some good solid run-time. Good luck, and it sounds like you got a pretty good deal on the boat!

Choice of tow vehicle:
'93 Explorer 4x4 (sold)
'05 Grand Cherokee 4x4 w/ 5.7 Hemi (member of the 240k+ mile club!)

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2023 5:51 pm 
Guppy

Thanks for confirming my thoughts!

I do intend to "stay local" for a while. I have BoatUS Gold (I have a 43' sailboat that we do distance cruising with -- take a peek at circe.travelmap.net), and a major TowBoatUS facility is directly across the creek from our house, probably 4 red boats over there. Our primary intent is here on the creek, but maybe just out into the Patuxent River, still protected and well traveled, and solid VHF and Cell coverage.

One minor concern about reliability is that the 1999 Volvo GX has been replaced with a 1990 OMC (it has the yellow paint marker labeling typical of junkyard parts). Other than being 10 years older, that's not an automatic concern, if it was in good condition then and maintained after installation -- which it looks like it has.

Good deal? My wife and I looked at it every time we walked the dog, and would talk about what we would offer. Finally talked to her, and in our mind we were thinking $1K, maybe 1.5. She just wanted it gone -- free! She's a divorced grandmother, thought it would get the grandkids attention, but that didn't work. Registration stickers are 2014! I know it was winterized on the last use -- the oil is as clean as it came out of the bottle, and when I started it on muffs, the exhaust water was "foamy" like antifreeze would do. The cockpit covers kept the vinyl and cockpit clean. We're pretty psyched! Of course, we are grandparents and are hoping it will get our kids/grandkids to visit more often....story sounds familiar....LOL

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2023 12:10 pm 
email admin your custom rank

sailingharry wrote:
We're pretty psyched! Of course, we are grandparents and are hoping it will get our kids/grandkids to visit more often....story sounds familiar....LOL

Hahahaha!
Well, at least you're not into it for a lot!

Choice of tow vehicle:
'93 Explorer 4x4 (sold)
'05 Grand Cherokee 4x4 w/ 5.7 Hemi (member of the 240k+ mile club!)