www.iFourWinns.com

Dedicated to Current and Future Owners
It is currently Mon Apr 29, 2024 11:05 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat Jul 15, 2006 7:31 am 
Minnow

Wondering if anyone else has experienced electrical problems on their Horizon. The boat was purchased used back in 2000, but in great shape....no bottom paint and very clean. The only drawback was that it was hanging on davits over the water on a canal that was quite windy off the bay. Over the past few years, I have chased electrical gremlins, i.e. internally rotted circuit breakers to name a few. I suspect salt air driven into all parts of the electrical system due to the wind.

Anyway, a new problem has surfaced. In order to start the boat, I need to have the NAV light button turned on. If not, starter will not crank. Got to the point where even with the NAV light button turned on, no crank. At that point I undid the canon plug under the dash and moved it around a bit as well as spraying electronic cleaner on it. Once I had done that, I was able to get cranking. Still, though, NAV light button must be on.

Also, gauges seem to go crazy showing overheat when engine is cool, empty gas tank when full, etc.

Has anyone experienced this and if so, what is the easiest fix? I would rather not have to replace the entire harness. If so, how big of a job is that as I do my own repair.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 15, 2006 5:21 pm 
Mental Floss

First thing I'd do is check all the grounds, clean and make sure they are tight and good. Many misc little electric problems can be traced bak to a bad ground.

'04 FW 288 Vista "Mental Floss"

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2006 3:20 pm 
Minnow

Thanks...have checked most grounds and even changed fuse block. I am thinking that maybe some of the contacts around ignition switch and/or NAV light are dirty and causing a short somewhere?? Can I just clean these up with an electronic cleaner?

Appreciate the help......

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2006 6:08 am 
Mental Floss

I would hit them with a bit of emery cloth, them some contact cleaner. Put themback on with a touch of dielectric grease to help ward off any other corrosion.

'04 FW 288 Vista "Mental Floss"

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2006 8:27 am 
Minnow

Thanks again....I will give it a shot.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2006 3:15 pm 
Guppy

I had the ground on the ignition switch be intermittant and cause the dash module to reset (self test) whenever it felt like it. Scared me to death as the warning buzzer would go off. Oil pressure guage would go to zero with the engine running at speed (neet stuff). Recrimped the terminal and it has been fine since.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2006 3:35 pm 
Minnow

Thanks for the feedback. Same thing happening to me....all the gauges get crazy....empty gas tank, overheat condition, lack of oil pressure. Got me so crazy that I attached an additional oil press. gauge at motor to insure I had oil pressure. My gauge showed OK. Same thing with the temp....risers were not that hot and engine was not in overheat condition.

I will check the ground at the switch and see if I can clean and re-crimp.

Thanks again!