www.iFourWinns.com

Dedicated to Current and Future Owners
It is currently Mon Apr 29, 2024 10:05 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2006 9:20 am 
Guppy

how difficult would it be to install a 12 volt plug in the dash area?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2006 10:07 am 
Mental Floss

Piece of cake. Couple things to remember. Use heat shrink connectors so there are no issues with corrosion down the road. Use a Marine rated receptical. You may have a ACC switch available on your dash, might want to use it to switch power on and off to the receptical. When you are cutting the hole, put masking tape over the area which will keep the gelcoat from chipping. For the screw holes, bevel the hole surface with a larger drill bit to prevent the screw from fracturing the gelcoat.

'04 FW 288 Vista "Mental Floss"

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2006 10:27 am 
wkearney99

I put two extra 12v plugs next to the radio in our 348 Vista. Just drilled the holes (measure twice, drill once!) and then bridged a connection from the breaker panel above.

Just make sure you use the correct types of wire and connectors. Do NOT use wire nuts or those crimp-splice (interlok?) wrapping connectors. Vibration and moisture in boats make using those style of connectors a BAD IDEA. You don't want corrosion to work it's way in there, or to have them wiggle loose. Best to use actual ring or spade connectors and heat-shrink them.

I used some double male/female adapters to handle pulling the 12v positive line from the breaker above and to each socket. This way I could pull the spade off the breaker, put in the adapter, reconnect the original lead and then the lead for the new plugs. At the first socket I used these adapters again to allow wiring up the second socket in parallel. For the negative I used a round ring terminal on the ground block.

I also put a fuse inline to make sure nothing draws more amperage than the breaker. Adding something to an existing circuit needs to be done with some planning. You don't want to just grab the voltage from somewhere without understanding what that circuit already provides and how your new stuff might impact it.

Also be sure you've got a large enough gauge wire running to the socket. Measure the voltage at the battery and then at where you expect to pick up the 12v+ for your socket. If they're different, say more than .2 volts, then you'd do well to consider pulling a heavier gauge wire directly from the battery or breaker. Voltage drops over distance and larger gauge wire will help avoid this.

What are you planning on plugging into this socket?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2006 3:16 pm 
Guppy

i plan on using the 12 volt plug to power my XM Radio.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2006 9:55 pm 
wkearney99

What're you doing to prevent moisture from wrecking it? Doesn't the Horizon keep it's radio in a glovebox of sorts? Is there room there for the radio, or does it require being in view of the sky to pickup the signal? Some models do have optional cradles for allow a 'permanent' install while still letting you take the radio itself for use in the car, house or other places with cradles.