www.iFourWinns.com

Dedicated to Current and Future Owners
It is currently Mon Apr 29, 2024 8:26 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2006 10:09 pm 
Seahorse

I own a 98 Horizon 190 4.3 and been recently been having audible continous alarms signals. I have read somewhere that the depth finder did not an audible alarm whe it is in shallow water but that what it is showing.It is a continuos beep showing that Im in 1 or 2 feet of water when I am in 75 feet ot more.Sometimes Ican push the mode button on my dash and it will stop it.Then there other times its not sounding and I will hit a rather large wake and it will start up again. As for the paddle wheel on the speedometer I wasnt sure if it was supposed to pivot freely up and down or snap down like it seems to be able to by the two little buttons on each bottom sides.[/list][/code]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2006 4:30 am 
Mental Floss

The VDO guages can/have ben a problem. You mayhave inadvertently set the alarm depths on the depth sounder and that's your problem. It can be reset by disconnecting the positive terminal on your battery for a minite or two.

As to the paddle wheel, it should be on the down position and locked there. It is designed to pivot up if something strikes it so it doesn't get damaged. If it's not in the "locked" down position, the water pressure will not adequately turn the wheel consistantly and give you a proper speed reading.

If the speed sender is "broken" or pivotied up, did you hit something or ground your boat? If do, the surface of the depth sounder transducer couls also be damaged causing you issues.

'04 FW 288 Vista "Mental Floss"

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2006 7:17 pm 
Seahorse

I did hit a rock but it was just enough to break a fin on the prop.Then I took it in for maint. and the mechanic changed the coupler.Had to pull the engine and all that fun stuff.Since I have had it back I have constantly had the depth problem.Where is this depth sounder transducer coul?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2006 8:09 pm 
Seahorse

Is there any way to deactivate it?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2006 8:13 pm 
Mental Floss

They very well might have damaged the cable/transducer when they removed/reinstalled the engine. Look in the engine space at the bottom of the hull 12 " or so off the midline near the middle to front of the engine. You will see a black cylinder about the diameter of a soda can and about half as tall with a cable coming out of it. That should be your depth sounder transducer. It's a co-axial type shielded cable. If there is any damage to it you will need to have them replace the transducer. I don't believe the cable can be reliable spliced.

'04 FW 288 Vista "Mental Floss"

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2006 7:50 pm 
Seahorse

Funny thing Ilocated the transponder and it looks like it was spliced together to a main wiring harness I thought it looked a little funny since this was the only time the engine was ever lifted.Is there a way to send photos.I couldnt figure out to the last time I contacted you.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2006 7:53 pm 
Seahorse

Never mind on pictures seems to be a bit of a pain. :(