www.iFourWinns.com

Dedicated to Current and Future Owners
It is currently Sun Jun 16, 2024 12:42 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2009 6:31 pm 
email admin your custom rank

Bad day on the pond. Here goes boys.

This was only the second time we have taken this boat to the lake since we got it. Today was the first nice day in weeks. Kids last day of school was yesterday so I took off work and we went to do what boaters do. We had been pulling tubes and just running around the lake haiving fun. We went to do some tubing again and all the sudden this load bang, snap, something - the engine revs high RPMs and then it just stopped before I could get the throttle back. I was running at about 2500 rpms or mayve 22 knots.

I checked the prop and everything looked fine. I tried to start it but it would not turn over. Felt like it was bound up. I broke the bad news to the family that we were DIW. I started looking around for a tow. I don't like asking for help and interupting peoples day.

All the sudden a boat came towards us and asked if we needed help. The heard the noize etc. They also mentioned when we had passed them earlier in the day something just didn't sound right when we were going by them. They were very nice and towed us back. The only thing the asked of us were we cubs fans and I said I'm for whoever you want me to be for. I absolutely never thhought I would be towed back by a Ranger bass Boat! But you do what you have to do.

Loaded the boat - no signs of OD damage, props turn freely and smooth which was unexpected.

Now - what is wrong??????????????????? and how much should I expect?

What a way to start the summer!

2005 Merc B3 with 70 hours.

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2009 8:09 pm 

Really hate to hear that. It sounds like more of an engine problem from your description. Either way engine or out-drive it'll be expensive. I'd probably try and get it to a good dealer as soon as possible so you can get it back in an reasonable amount of time. Best of luck!

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2009 8:14 pm 
Minnow

230Hmerc,
Sorry to hear about that. I wouldn't wish that on anyone. It sounds like, since the boat won't turn over, an engine issue. Could be a number of things (head, pistons, etc). Wish you luck and let us know how it turns out.

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2009 8:25 pm 

Thanks.

I have talked to the merc dealer already and I'm taking it there tomorrow. He said they are slow right now compared to the last two weeks. So that is good news. The only reason "I" do not think its the engine is because when it happened there was a sudden decrease in speed and the engine rev'd like something gave in the gearbox and then the engine stopped. My wife reminded me that earlier in the day when we were at idle and then shifted to forward gear there was a grind. Not having but a few hours on this boat I found it odd but thought well maybe I didn't have the shift fully engaged or something. This is the first merc I have ever had. Maybe the second here real soon.

I do agree no matter what it will be expensive. If you ain't spending money you ain't having fun! Something like that. I should know Monday what the damages are - money and mechanically.

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2009 8:31 pm 

Thanks everyone. The dealer said if the upper gear case goes it can lock the engine. Something about broken shaft, knuckles, u-joints, bearings, etc. Good thing it didn't happen about an hour earlier because I was WOT with quick open showing my stuff. Sure ruined a good start to a weekend but its only money! Although my wife says she will not be able to sleep tonight. :(

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2009 10:05 pm 

Sorry to hear about that! Was the engine reading normal temps and oil pressure before it quit on you? If the drive had a gear oil leak...or an underlying defect it could have locked up the drive and the engine....Was the drive oil level checked before it was sold to you (drive monitor full?)

2008 Walker Bay 8

1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4.0/Selectrac
2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee 5.7 Hemi/Quadradrive II

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2009 10:15 pm 

LouC

Normal engine temp and oil pressure looked good. The boat was serviced in October. Plus I checked the gear oil level several times since I got it including today. The level is still at the normal mark. i know it probably sounds like an engine problem but looking back it was like the it came out of gear and then tried to re-engage and locked everything up. If that makes sense.

I just called the previous owner and he said he did hit something in a river 2 years ago and had to replace the lower drive. I wondering if this isn't related to his accident. Maybe when they replaced the lower drive it was msaligned or there were other parts damaged that went un-noticed and now the upper drive is taking the hit. Or maybe it is the engine.

Thanks for the replay I will keep everyone posted.

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2009 10:28 pm 
230 Mike

That is just bizarre. Especially on that new of a boat with such low hours. Sure sounds like something in the drive let go to me - but why??

Mike
2005 Four Winns 230/240
VP 5.7GXi/DP
1998 F-150 XLT
Boat Pic

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2009 10:57 pm 

I have actually heard of that happening, in that if you hit something hard enough...(stainless props don't yeild like aluminum does) it can damage or fatigue a gear in a way that the damage does not manifest itself right away...but some time later...then the full extent of the damage becomes apparent...with a major gear failure.....if the former owner has record of the damage, I wonder if your insurance could cover it...not sure if the policy might exclude any previous damages.....

Here we have sand but also some pretty big rocks....and I have stuck to using aluminum props over the years partly for those reasons....

2008 Walker Bay 8

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2009 11:18 pm 
230 Mike

I'd sure check out the insurance option. I can't imagine this isn't related to the previous strike.

Mike
2005 Four Winns 230/240
VP 5.7GXi/DP
1998 F-150 XLT
Boat Pic

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2009 11:51 pm 
All Night Long

Guys, this isn't too bad to isolate.

1) pull the drive. Can you start the motor?

2) Even if you don't pull the drive, thanks to neutral, you should be able to start the motor.

3) No start of the motor... what's happening? Is the starter engaging? Is it it turning over, but not firing?

We need some more info to help diagnose.

A bad outdrive could keep it from cranking altogether? Is that even the issue?

PostPosted: Sat May 30, 2009 7:19 am 

In neutral and when I turn the key the starter engages but it doesn't turn over. Just hmmmms

PostPosted: Sat May 30, 2009 8:15 am 

it does sound like a locked up drive based on what you reported...the only other things that can cause that are a thrown connecting rod...(that'd be obvious...hole in the side of the block!) or a hydrolock where the engine sucked in water and the hydrolock preveneted you from cranking it over (water in cylinders does not compress). To rule that out you remove all 8 plugs and try cranking the engine...if it cranks and water shoots out of the plug holes then you know it was a hydrolock...but given your description it sounds more like a drive failure....
Having had an OMC Cobra for some years I have heard of just about every issue they can have...and one that is fairly common...is that someone decides to change the gear oil but doesn't follow OMC's instructions...the drive winds up underfilled...runs about 15 min and then locks up...same symptoms...but in your case I'd think more of an upper gear failure that could be related to the first impact....

2008 Walker Bay 8

PostPosted: Sat May 30, 2009 6:14 pm 

Well insurance isn't going to pay for a pre-existing condition. Sounds like healthcare insurnace.

I took the boat to a well known marina. I joking said well this shouldn't cost more than $100.00 or so...... He said do you know what BOAT stands for, I said no, he said Bring Out Another Thousand. I said that would be welcoming news and he replied I think it will be a lot worse than that! Being a SA I said thats what they make credit cards for. This isn't feeling good, before he looked at the boat he asked what version Merc I had, I said B3 ............all he said was ouch.

the mechanic will look at it Monday so I will let you guys know what the diagnosis is and the damage to the fun money pot.

Mike - bizarre is right. I have to stay positive!!!! We just really look forward to the boat coming home. We went to 4 different launch areas (2 different lakes) today just to watch and reflect. I can't wait to get her back no matter what!!!!

PostPosted: Sat May 30, 2009 7:07 pm 

Man I feels so bad for you :cry: Hopefully it won't be too big of a hit $$$ & you can be out & about next weekend! Keep us informed please

2011 Polaris 500HO RED]
Life Long Boston Bruin Fan 2011 Stanley Cup Champs!! :-)