www.iFourWinns.com

Dedicated to Current and Future Owners
It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 2:43 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2006 2:09 pm 
Tadpole

I have a 2002 180 Horizon. My mechanic has tried twice to find the source of this problem without success. The ignition fuse blows when I try to start the engine, which is a Volvo Penta. Part of the problem (and my frustration) is that it happens sporadically - I never know when it will occur, and sometimes I'll need to replace the fuse 5 or 6 times before it won't blow and the engine will turn over. I think it may be related to moisture somewhere, but I'm not sure. My mechanic replaced the starter with a rebuilt one 2 or 3 years ago; I don't know if that might be part of the problem. I also understand that the starter sits very low in the engine compartment and might be more susceptible to moisture from the bilge than a starter might normally be? Any ideas would be GREATLY appreciated.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2006 6:23 pm 
Mental Floss

First thing I would do is remove and clean the main engine cable. You should find it on the left side of the motor. It's a large cable that has a rubber boot on it and a hose clamp. Loosen the hose clamp, pull the connector, clean well. Plug in firmly and tighten the hose clamp You might want to coat it with a touch of dilectric grease to keep away moisture and corrosion.

The engine can be "funny" if the connection is not good.

'04 FW 288 Vista "Mental Floss"