www.iFourWinns.com

Dedicated to Current and Future Owners
It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 6:42 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2006 2:14 am 
McLovin

hi guys, i have been in the market for a new boat for a while. Just like every other toy out there we love to buy I am having a problem making a decision. I was looking at searay but the msrp is 19000. they were running a sale for 15999 so i figured a fourwinns witha msrp of under 18000 could potentially be on sale as winter starts for 155oo or something like that. Aside from that i love the styling of the fourwinns and its got 6" more of beam. I always thought fourwinns was out of my range but then i checked out the website and was amazed, and the quality is awesome. So what i want to know is : How much are you guys seeing the 180's go for on sale in your parts, and also how do you like your boat. Any info would be great.
Thanks
Rick

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2006 5:30 am 
Mental Floss

Unfortunately, there is no set firm price on boats. It varied greatly depending on what is popular in your area, what time of the month, etc. Some dealers will budge little, others quite a bit. When shopping for our 288 Vista, three dealers ranged +/- $15K.

Best advice I can give is don't pay MSRP. 10% off is good, 15% off is a nice deal, 20% off MSRP or better any you did great.

One other very important item to consider...after the sale service. If you have two dealers, a & b, a is $1K less but their after sale support is questionable but dealer b had a great rep, the $1K in savings isn't worth it.

As the Knight in Indiana Jones said "Choose wisely"

As to your choice. I'd go for the FW for one main reason, the Volvo/SX package is much better IMHO than the Merc/Alpha package on the Sea Ray. With FW you have the choice of Merc or Volvo. With Sea Ray your choices are Merc, Merc or Merc.

'04 FW 288 Vista "Mental Floss"

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2006 9:15 am 
Sting Ray

When buying mine this year, the dealer was offering a 'boat show' price that was, about 19% below the sticker MSRP. So I went onto the NADA site for boats, and looked up the value of an 2005 model with low hours to see what the market value would be. I also scanned classifieds for used models to try to establish in my mind what the market value would be. I then established a target which was actually 7k less than the boat show price and went in with that offer (a price that I could by a 1 yr old used model). We haggled a bit and we settled at a price that was 5500 less than the boat show special. I ended up being in the 30% less than MSRP category. Now - as boat owners, we all want market values to stay up in our ever-depreciating toys, but hey - since you asked, I thought I'd weigh in.

Post subject: thanks guys
PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2006 12:51 am 
McLovin

thanks guys for all the opinions. I like the volvo design with the water pump not in the outdrive. but i like the merc outdrive with all the grease fittings. Always seems to be a toss up LOL. I was looking to see what everyone has been paying for there 180's?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2006 8:01 am 
268 Vista

Have you tried a Merc and a Volvo on the water? You may find that you prefer the smoothness of shifting with a Volvo to the "clunk" of the Merc.
I know I do.

Current Boat: 2004 Chaparral 235 ssi cuddy

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2006 9:30 am 
Shark

IMHO, FW over Searay anyday. Searay as been accused on one sight (with pics to documant) of making their hulls out of fiberglass putty not cloth. The quality I can see is much higher on FW. Also volvos are known for realiablity. The easily serviced impeller is much more importane to me than the grease fitting.
Good luck.

Post subject: volvo ratios
PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2006 1:43 am 
McLovin

It looks to me like the volvo gets a little faster out of the same RPM Which i like. I hear the volvo is really smooth and more trouble free. Im trying to see what prices I can get a 180 with the 4 cyl at because MSRP i know I can do better than that, but how much better? Honestly I was really in love with the searay, but now that i seen the FW I am so inlove with it and that is definately the boat i think im going to get. Especially with Sea ray selling there entry level for 15999 and that is there new special/boat show price. And it just isnt as great of a boat as the FW. Thanks guys for all your help

Post subject: volvo ratios
PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2006 1:43 am 
McLovin

It looks to me like the volvo gets a little faster out of the same RPM Which i like. I hear the volvo is really smooth and more trouble free. Im trying to see what prices I can get a 180 with the 4 cyl at because MSRP i know I can do better than that, but how much better? Honestly I was really in love with the searay, but now that i seen the FW I am so inlove with it and that is definately the boat i think im going to get. Especially with Sea ray selling there entry level for 15999 and that is there new special/boat show price. And it just isnt as great of a boat as the FW. Thanks guys for all your help