www.iFourWinns.com

Dedicated to Current and Future Owners
It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 9:06 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2006 10:30 am 
Sting Ray

Does anyone have an experience in towing with a Ford Explorer? I have an '05 2WD with the class III/IV hitch. I have towed it a short distance from the dealer to the marina without issue. But, I am considering a longer trip - about 100 miles one way and would like to hear if there is anyone with similar experience. Thanks!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2006 1:30 pm 
230 Mike

Do you know what your total "wet" weight is, and what the tow capacity on the vehicle is? What type of terrain will this trip be over?

Mike
2005 Four Winns 230/240
VP 5.7GXi/DP
1998 F-150 XLT
Boat Pic

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2006 9:13 am 
Shark

I just got a 06 200 Horizon I tow with a 02 4wd 6 cyl Explorer and the smaller class III hitch. Tows and stops fine over flat terrain. I have no experience with it in mountains but think it would be very challenging. Trailer brakes are a big help. The Ford towing package adds a different rear end and trans cooler. I may add the larger class IV? hitch but because Ford welds the orginal hithch on, the big trailer store here says the new hitch would have to be mounted underneath the orginal.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2006 9:41 am 
268 Vista

Piece of cake. If your ramps are steep, might be an issue with only 2WD pulling out of a slippery ramp. Otherwise, no problem towing your boat just about anywhere you want.

Current Boat: 2004 Chaparral 235 ssi cuddy

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2006 4:49 pm 
Tadpole

I pull my 180 with a Jeep wrangler, no issues. Just give yourself alot of space to stop, and keep an eye on your temp. Water Wetter in the cooling system helps alot. Also, if you don't have a tranny cooler, get one.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 02, 2006 8:45 am 
email admin your custom rank

Does the Explorer have the factory tow package (often includes a different final drive ratio, trans cooler, sometimes bigger radiator, trailer wiring, etc)? Is it a V-8 or V-6? All those factors make a big difference. Good trailer brakes and having the boat well balanced on the trailer are a must. Also you will want to have a spare tire and jack and tools to change it for the trailer. I tow an old 88 FW 200 with my 98 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4.0. It pulls pretty well considering it has the six and not the eight cylinder. I added Bilstein shocks and Air Lift airbags in the rear coils to eliminate rear sag when towing. Those things made a big difference. In some vehicles it is recommended to lock out overdrive to cut down on shifting and keep the trans converter clutch locked up which reduces heat.
You may also need to use synthetic gear oil in the rear diff when towing, the newer Fords may come from the factory with it.

2008 Walker Bay 8

1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4.0/Selectrac
2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee 5.7 Hemi/Quadradrive II

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2006 8:18 am 
Sting Ray

Thanks for all of the input. I have looked through all of my Ford documents to try to answer some of the questions. This is the 4.6L/V8/2WD with the Ford tow package - class III/IV hitch. Says that it is rated for 5000 lbs. I am going to estimate my rig will weigh about 4400 lbs. I have made a short tow - about 2 miles -with it once, and it did fine. Just looking to see if anyone has any similar experience.

I live in the hills of Tennessee so, the terrain is up and down mostly. My instinct on this one is to try another short run - maybe 10 miles or so, slow & easy, keep watch on the gauges and see how it does.

Great posts guys. Thanks again.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2006 11:05 am 
230 Mike

I tow a significantly heavier boat with the same engine, but in an F-150. I'd say, given your weight and terrain, you'll be fine except that you're going to be more dependent on properly functioning trailer brakes than some people. The brakes on the Explorer aren't overly beefy. And, if you're in those kinds of hills, you may get to the point where you *want* more power. But I don't think you'll *have* to have more power. The 4.6l is a great engine - it doesn't have unlimited power or torque, but it'll run all day long at 3,000 - 3,400 RPM and not mind a bit. With your hills, I'd get the tranny fluid changed more often - maybe once a year.

For your own peace of mind, I'd get your boat weighed so that you know what you're really working with.

Mike
2005 Four Winns 230/240
VP 5.7GXi/DP
1998 F-150 XLT
Boat Pic