www.iFourWinns.com

Dedicated to Current and Future Owners
It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 2:57 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2006 11:54 am 
email admin your custom rank

I had my boat at a marine dealer saturday to have the "Shroud" (complete dash surround) replaced under warranty. All seemed OK until I checked out my electrics at my house. Rather than take the boat back -- which I will if I need to --- I would rather diagnose and repair myself - since I am sure they just got a connection(s) wrong.

Here are the symptoms.

When you turn the key to the start position the following things happen
1-- fuel gauge immediately goes to full and beyond (boat has about half tank of fuel)
2 ---out pressure gauge goes to max -- (even though engine is not yet even running)
3-- trim gauge goes to FULL UP -- above normal UP -- and does not respond to up down movements of drive.

There may be other gauges wacko --- not sure -- but I think those might indicate the issue -=---

Everything worked fine before the replacement of the shroud.

to me it looks like some gound circuit has not been powered ??
or 12 volts run directly to some circuit which is not supposed to be hot all the time??

I have a SELOC manual -- and will see if I can diagnose the issue from it, and maybe trace a few wires -- I have not pulled the gauge cluster yet -
I just discovered this last night when I went to check out the shroud replacement. (I did not check out things at the dealer as things were rushed -- my fault there -- and since they were closing I am sure they would have said the same thing they said today wjem I called them -- we will fit it -- just bring the boat back.)

The boat is a 2003 Four Winns 240 Horizon -- Volvo 5.7 Gi DP

looking for thoughts
thx

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2006 7:56 am 
email admin your custom rank

Well -- I did get a chance to pull the gauge cluster and look at things last night -- I found the large connector which connects virtually all the dash connections to the rest of the wiring corroded (and only a 2003 boat) -- I am going to see if I can get some connectors from Radio Shack and replace the entire connections --

Of course as usual I found the SELOC manual totally lacking --only one gauge wiring diagram in it -- and it says "sorta like this". The Four Winns electrical diagram is also useless -- since it shows the old VDO dash -- not the separate gauges I have --

Oh well -- just have to be careful and mark the connections -- it would sure help in troubleshooting though if I knew where each color code was supposed to go --

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2006 11:28 am 
Guppy

Do you have the wiring diagrams for your boat? They have some fairly accurate information in there.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2006 3:42 pm 
wkearney99

Ask four winns directly. Our 2005 348 came with the 04 series manual. They shipped out a 3-ring binder copy of the new one while the bound ones were being printed. It's very complete and accurate for all standard gear.