www.iFourWinns.com

Dedicated to Current and Future Owners
It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 7:22 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: 220 Engine choice
PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2006 3:34 pm 
Guppy

These questions are to all you 220 owners, I'm trying to decide whether the 5.7GXI duo prop is worth the extra cash on my boat. My local dealer has one outfitted like this and I really like it. However, it is over $3,000 higher that non duo prop engine. What engines do most of you have in your 220's? Is the duo prop worth the extra cash? Is a VP 5.0 enough engine for this size boat or should I stick with 5.7?

Thanks,
Dwayne
Atlanta, GA

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2006 8:59 pm 
Mental Floss

"There is no replacement for displacement"

As to Duo Prop vs an SX. Like watching B&W TV after you've experienced Color TV.

'04 FW 288 Vista "Mental Floss"

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2006 6:41 pm 
Shark

Not really sure which is better. We bought our 2006 220 Horizon in mid-July and it came with the VP 5.7 liter, V-8 with single stainless prop. Before buying the 220.....I really thought about getting the 220 with dual props....but got the one with single prop for a really good deal. Anyway, I'm a big guy.....6'5" 270....and have two kids both good size.....throw in my wife and a few more passengers and we still have great power for pulling people out of the water. I've been really happy with the single....so far. Hope this helps..... :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2006 10:43 pm 
Mental Floss

The big differenc between the SX and Duo is:

1. The Duo will be a touch more efficient as there is less slippage of the prop
2. Because of the much greater blade suface the Duo will handle better at low speeds especially around the docks.
3. The Duo will backup straight were as the SX will pull to port. With the Duo prop torque is 0

'04 FW 288 Vista "Mental Floss"

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 23, 2006 11:16 am 
Guppy

I purchased a 2007 220 with a volvo 5.7 single prop about 3 weeks ago. Before buying I tested the 5.0 single prop and 5.7 single prop. When I say tested, I mean I skied behind each. I weigh @ 220 lbs and I wanted to make sure I got a boat with sufficient power to get me out of the water on one ski. The 5.0 I tested was an 06 model, the 5.7 was an 07.

In my opinion the 5.0 is not quite enough power. The 5.7 single prop had no trouble getting me up so I didn't bother with the duo prop because of the premium. Not only is the dual prop a significant premium at purchase, its also going to be higher maintenance and replacement costs.

I see you are in Atlanta, so am I. I got my 220 from Gainesville Marina. They have been great so far. We visited most of the boat dealers around Lake Lanier and my wife and I both felt they were the most helpful.

Good luck - we're really enjoying our new 220 - infact I'm heading out to the lake in a few minutes. Feel free to contact me if you have any specific questions about the boat.