www.iFourWinns.com

Dedicated to Current and Future Owners
It is currently Mon Apr 29, 2024 12:47 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat Oct 14, 2006 5:15 pm 
Tadpole

I bought a new Four Winns 200 this summer. I have had several boats previously so I am not new to the boating fun. Unfortunately in northern Wisconsin we now have snow on the ground and our boating is done. As a result I am doing my final winter boat preparation. Yes it has been winterized. I normally completely clean the hull and apply a good protective finish to my boat. My boat is normally trailered to the lakes about 35 miles away. As I am power waxing (not really wax) the hull I have noticed a lot of very small specks on the bow of the boat where the color is gone. I have a black hull. It looks like if I had used a sand blaster it would of removed the black color in tiny specks. It makes me wonder how thick the color is in the jel coat. My previous boat was a Cobia maroon in color and after 12 years of use there were no areas like I am seeing on my new Four Winns. I am quite disappointed with the quality of the jel coat. I do not travel on gravel and sand roads. I am traveling on the same roads I traveled with my 12 year old Cobia. I would like to hear if this is normal for Four Winns. Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Thanks

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 15, 2006 7:26 pm 
Guppy

Where is this happening at, on the hull or the bow?? Im kinda confused on what part you are talking about. The average gelcoat is about 10 mills. That can vary between manufacture, manufacture date, mode, and other variables.

You could get some liquid gelcoat and use a preval spray gun and spray it on then use a high speed buffer or alot of elbow grease and a compound and blend your areas after you spray the gelcoat on. Its not as hard as what you think.. I do body and fiberglass work as a side job when I have extra time after my full time job..

If you need more help or have question, let me know.

Nick

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 15, 2006 9:23 pm 
Tadpole

I have the classic color band. The spotting is occuring approximately 17" below the parting line of the boat (1 or 2 inches above the narrow white stripe) and 32" back from the bow on the starboard side. The spots are obvious but not enough to feel with your fingernail. It makes me think the colorant in the jel coat is extremely thin and not actually in the jel coat. It is as if they painted the boat after it was taken out of the mold. The boat is till under warranty and I feel like the jel coat is defective or Four Winns has either a poor quality of jel coat or poor quality control of their jel coat. I am trying to get my ducks in a row before I go to Four Winns with my concern. I have owned several previous boats with a colored jel coat and have never experienced this problem. This even goes back to my first boat which was a orange Steury.

Thanks Again
Rand

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 15, 2006 9:30 pm 
Guppy

It does not sound right. I would definately contact your dealer and have address your concerns to them. Four Winns is a awesome company and they stand behind there boats 100%. I have been to the Four Winns factory and watch how they make the boats from beginning to end. I live in Traverse City, MI which is about 35-40 miles from the Four Winns factory in Cadillac, MI. Soons I find the several pictures I have from the there I will upload them to my web site and post the pictures here. Its really neat to see how they build the boats.