www.iFourWinns.com

Dedicated to Current and Future Owners
It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 7:40 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Bilge Pump
PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2006 8:37 pm 
Tadpole

New to boating and new to Four Winns!

In negotiations to purchase my first boat, a Four Winns 1998-17" Horizon QX. While having the boat inspected and certified, the inspector mentioned that the boat does not include a bilge pump and isn't sure of the requirements for one. In doing research on the boat, i noticed that Four Winns offered a bilge pump as an option on this model boat and it wasn't part of the base equipment.

So, is a bilge pump required for a 17" boat? It appears that installing the pump won't be a major task. Has anyone installed one on this boat? Similar boat? Is an outlet available to pipe to?

Your input and advice is greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2006 9:48 pm 
Shark

Heck Yes! They are cheap and easy to install. Most won't handle a real leak but for small leaks, rain and rough seas I can't imagine having at least one. (I also can't imagine how they could be an "option" like having a parking brake as an option.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2006 9:28 pm 
Guppy

Agree that it's hard to believe a boat would be built without a bilge pump in the engine compartment. It's never been an option on any FW's I have bought and I've bought three. You could probably install one yourself but I'd suggest just looking for another boat, FW's or otherwise.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2006 6:36 pm 
Shark

Well at least you know that 1) the boat didn't leak and 2) it likely wastn't used very much. If you like the boat why not just reduce your offer by the cost a pump? Although they don't cost much. Check a manual for the wiring diagram, all you have to do is attach the leads and drill one hole well above the water line for the discharge. Good luck on your new boat with the new pump.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2006 7:58 pm 
Tadpole

thanks for the input and feedback. In rereading my post i failed to mention that the boat has an outboard motor, not that it should make a difference. Looks like I'll be joing the boating world shortly! I have no problem with doing the installation!! I have 6 months to get it done!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2006 7:13 am 
wkearney99

Aren't boats under a certain size supposed to have floatation foam that helps keep them from sinking? Does that also affect the inclusion of a bilge pump? I'm no expert on boat's that size but it sure seems like a inspector ought to be.

Start by contacting Four Winns and ask them about how it's set up. I've exchanged a number of messages with them this season and they've been VERY helpful. Send and e-mail to: boating@fourwinns.com You may want/need to include the Hull Identification Number (HIN) of the boat as that may help them determine exactly how it was set up from the factory.