www.iFourWinns.com

Dedicated to Current and Future Owners
It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 7:13 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Four Winns ranking....
PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2007 10:11 pm 
Guppy

I've been researching boats for upcoming purchase and really like the FW 220. However, at the Atlanta Boat Show this past weekend I had two different people tell me that FW boats were lesser quality than Chaparral and Monterey. How would you all rank the following boat manufacturer's on quality of boats (21-22 models); Four Winns, Chaparral, Crownline, Sea Ray.

Thanks!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2007 10:42 pm 

I would put them all at the same level of quality.

Best: MasterCraft
Better: Four Winns, Sea Ray, Chaprl, Crownline, Regal
Good: Tahoe, Bayliner, Stingray

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2007 6:58 am 
Mental Floss

UH...nope! Look for yourself. Look at the stuff that isn't apparent such as the finish of storage compartments, number of supports for the wiring, etc and you will see Chap as equal, Monterey as inferior.

'04 FW 288 Vista "Mental Floss"

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2007 7:34 am 
Andiamo

I would put the FourWinns in the same category as Crownline and SeaRay, but I am not sure about the Chapparal. On The BOAT US forum there is a whole thread on the quality of the newer Chapparal's, and I personally have a friend with a 2004 Chap 290 Signature that experienced severe cracks in the hull at the forward bulkhead. I was very surprised about all of this, because I always liked the Chapparal and thought it was a good boat. Meanwhile, getting back to Four Winns, when you compare quality, features, price, RIDE, and styling, I think you will find it surfaces to the top of the list. I had a FourWinns 215 Sundowner for 11 years before trading on the 268Vista, and I never had a problem with it. The 268 Vista rides through a pretty good chop pretty smoothly. When running up river in a good chop with a few boats from my marina in the same size range, they frequently comment about how they could not keep up because they were getting beat up, meanwhile they are amazed of how the 268Vista runs right through it without much bounce. Best of Luck with your decision.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2007 2:45 pm 
Guppy

Thanks for the info...from what I have researched I felt like Four Winns & Chaparral were about the same and I really haven't seen much on Monterey. There is one thing I do notice though when trolling through used boat sites and it's that I don't see many used 210-220 Four Winns boats and I'm not quite sure how to read into that. Is it because they're so good no one wants to sell them or are there just not as many out there? I see a ton of used Sea Ray's and quite a few Chaparral's, but not that many FW's.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2007 5:08 pm 
Andiamo

http://www.usedboats.com/powerboats/200 ... 916291.htm

Wow, your'e right. I went online to check and there were not many. I did come across a 2004 234Funship in GA. Check the link above. Too bad there is no picture. It sounds pretty nice. I really do not know the answer to your question. Have you tried any local Four Winns dealers. A lot of times they have used boats that have been traded in for larger ones. That is what I did with my 1993 - 215 Sundowner when I bought the 2004 Vista268. Best of Luck to you in your search! Let us know what you find.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2007 7:53 pm 
email admin your custom rank

I would rate the Four Winns and the Crownline above the SeaRay and Monterey for a 20-22ft boat. I have owned 3 Four Winns and and am looking to buy my 4th. I was just at the NY boat show and saw them all. The Four Winns has a more finished product look. The Four Winns and the Crownline are quality products. I was not impressed at all with the other brands that compete in that footage. I will stick with a Four Winns because of the dealer and Four Winns commitment to customer satisfaction.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2007 7:54 pm 

I would rate the Four Winns and the Crownline above the SeaRay and Monterey for a 20-22ft boat. I have owned 3 Four Winns and and am looking to buy my 4th. I was just at the NY boat show and saw them all. The Four Winns has a more finished product look. The Four Winns and the Crownline are quality products. I was not impressed at all with the other brands that compete in that footage. I will stick with a Four Winns because of the dealer and Four Winns commitment to customer satisfaction.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2007 5:55 am 
Andiamo

Barry, I agree with what you said about the dealer! I was at the NY show also, and I really felt good about being a Four Winns owner for 14 years now! At the show I talked to Bryan and to Dick (G&R's owners) and I got a real good feeling about their committment to their customers. Meanwhile I don't know about you, but for the 2nd year in a row now, I am really disappointed in the NY show! I think the problem is that space at the NY show is at a premium, and getting big boats to the show is probably a real hassle. I could not believe the # of large boats mfg's that were either not present at all or were represented at the show with 1 model! Four Winns was represented pretty good though! I personally liked the 358Vista shown at the show!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2007 6:28 pm 

I am 20yr Four Winns owner. I really liked the 358 also, but my wallett is more comfortable with the 318. I am almost ready to pull the trigger on a new boat. I really like my 205 sundowner, but I ready for a total change in summer lifestyle. I have begun to hate towing after 20yrs.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2007 6:42 pm 
Clownfish

This is the first and last FW boat for me.

Expect to keep her for at least another 20 years and then either keep it or give up boating because I'll be too old to use it. It's not a Cobalt but dollar for dollar you can't beat them.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2007 9:43 am 
wkearney99

The only place I've found differences between our Four Winns 348 and a neighbor's Sea Ray 380 was in wiring. Behind the console the SR had a much nicer setup with the wiring all securely mounted to a marine plywood panel. The FW has them tie wrapped in a bundle. This is certainly not an area where regular owners would ever go looking. In the engine compartment and at the breaker panel they were about the same.

In fit and finish I've found the new FW boats to be equal, if not better in terms of style. So, dollar for dollar, I'm certainly pleased with the tens of thousands we DIDN'T have to spend by getting the Four Winns over a Sea Ray.

So take a VERY close look at things that wear or need to be durably set up. You'll start to see where entry-level brands of boats have achieved their cost savings. Look hard, you're spending a lot of money here, don't save a buck now only to have it break later.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2007 10:10 am 
268 Vista

Giaccamo wrote:
Barry, I agree with what you said about the dealer! I was at the NY show also, and I really felt good about being a Four Winns owner for 14 years now! At the show I talked to Bryan and to Dick (G&R's owners) and I got a real good feeling about their committment to their customers. Meanwhile I don't know about you, but for the 2nd year in a row now, I am really disappointed in the NY show! I think the problem is that space at the NY show is at a premium, and getting big boats to the show is probably a real hassle. I could not believe the # of large boats mfg's that were either not present at all or were represented at the show with 1 model! Four Winns was represented pretty good though! I personally liked the 358Vista shown at the show!

Did they have the new 338 Vista in NY ?

Current Boat: 2004 Chaparral 235 ssi cuddy

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2007 10:47 am 
Andiamo

Cap'n Morgan, I believe they did have a 338 at the show also, but I am not 100% sure. We kind of gravitated from the 318 to the 358 for some reason and skipped the in between. I think there were 2 reasons we went right to the 358! First, we like the full 12'Beam on the 358 and second, we liked the option for the private stateroom in the 358, that I do not believe is available on the 338, but I could be wrong on that one. What I like about both models is that they both have 19 degrees of deadrise at the transom. I bet that gives you a smooth ride in rough water. I can't afford one right now, but I would love to test ride either model. Powered right, these have to be great riding boats! Heck, I love the way my 268 with 17 degrees of deadrise rides especially compared to some of my dockmates with similarly sized boats. I can just imagine what the 338 or 358 feels like! Ciao!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2007 7:37 pm 

Yes, there was a 338 at the NY show. I did not see alot of difference between the 318 and the 338. The 338 just seemed to me to be a stretched 318. [list=][/list]