www.iFourWinns.com

Dedicated to Current and Future Owners
It is currently Tue Jun 04, 2024 6:11 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Perko Switch
PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2010 7:44 pm 
Goldfish

Okay decided now to add another battery to the boat w/ a perko switch. I have the volvo penta 3.0L, pretty sure I remember seeing an alternator on this engine. Anyways there lots of switches that look identical but range major in price. Can someone please tell me what/which one I should be looking for?

Post subject: Re: Perko Switch
PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2010 4:33 pm 
email admin your custom rank

You should be fine with the 'main' line switches from Perko. I don't think you'll need a heavy duty switch for your size boat. You should look at the alt disconnect to avoid issues while switching batteries when the boat is on (bad news if you do that). Most people just go with the standard 1,2,1&2, off setup. If you keep your boat at a marina or on a hoist and are concerned about someone taking it for a joy ride, then maybe get a keyed switch (granted it is just a deterrent). Personally, I got the blue seas compact switch (maybe the m series one). I liked the smaller size, albeit a bit harder to work with and the cover on the back. Also, note that you want to run at least the same size wire as you have to your current battery. The preferred wire is tinned, but if you look at your current wire, it's most likely not tinned (mine isn't at least). If you're in a saltwater environment or very wet, that is more pertinent for corossion, otherwise, not really needed.

check here for a view of my setup and some others.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2010 4:53 pm 
Narwhal

I recommend you take a look at Blue Sea System's add-a-battery setup. Here's a link: http://bluesea.com/category/2/productline/overview/329 It's a switch and ACR type combiner that will charge both batteries whenever a charging source is present. I couldn't be happier with mine.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2010 8:31 pm 
Goldfish

I see it has a off,on, and combine batteries selection but what about running on just one battery vs. the other???

PostPosted: Sat Jun 19, 2010 12:42 am 
Narwhal

That's the beauty of the add-a-battery system. One battery can be dedicated to 'house' systems, the other as a starting battery. Not that I'd ever recommend doing so, with this setup you could run down the 'house' battery while on the hook with any combo of stereo, amps, blenders, fish finders, trolling motors, etc., and still have a topped off starting battery. After firing up the engine, both batteries have a charging source available. If for some inexplicable reason, the dedicated starting battery dies, you can turn the switch to combine to make power from both batteries available for starting the engine. For all practical purposes, one pretty much sets the switch to on, and and that's about it until the end of the season when it's time to switch to off.