www.iFourWinns.com

Dedicated to Current and Future Owners
It is currently Sat May 11, 2024 3:32 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Throttle Slipping
PostPosted: Sat Jun 12, 2010 8:35 pm 
Minnow

Hello all,
I don't post very often, but do stalk the posts quite a bit. It's amazing how help everyone is on this forum. I have noticed with my throttle when I move it into a speed position that it will have a tendency to ease off in a short time. Is there a "tightening" that can be done to have the throttle stay in position?

Post subject: Re: Throttle Slipping
PostPosted: Sat Jun 12, 2010 11:53 pm 
230 Mike

There's a friction control adjustment in the control box, under the cover. Has it always been that way? I wouldn't expect it to loosen up that much in 2 years, if ever, and Volvo tends to set them tighter than many people prefer.

Mike
2005 Four Winns 230/240
VP 5.7GXi/DP
1998 F-150 XLT
Boat Pic

PostPosted: Sun Jun 13, 2010 6:05 pm 
Minnow

I've really noticed it late last summer. I didn't think that much of it and had forgotten about until I fired it up the driveway a couple of weeks ago. I ran it up a bit and it eased back. Thanks for the info, I'll take a look.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 13, 2010 11:41 pm 
email admin your custom rank

I had to tighten my friction brake as well ('07 H200). However, while this helped, it is not the only problem with volvo throttles... Also give this a try, while cruising, overshoot the RPM that you want to achieve, and then back down... I bet you that it won't slip down this time... There seems to be some "play" in these throttles and it is very noticeable if you gently wiggle the throttle back and forth after you have it set at a certain speed... Moving it down 200 rpms after reaching your target will stop it from slipping further... This is an important thing you have to teach any driver if they will be pulling you on a wakeboard... the throttle on my old OMC was perfect and I never needed to do this monkey business... :-(

PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2010 12:05 am 
230 Mike

I've never had that and would never be able to get used to that. I wonder if a change in cables would help?

Mike
2005 Four Winns 230/240
VP 5.7GXi/DP
1998 F-150 XLT
Boat Pic

PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2010 10:45 am 

I doubt it is the cable... Mine has done it since I took delivery in '07... the dealer is clueless when I ask him about it... But like I said, if you land on an RPM while decreasing the throttle, it will stick... if you are going up, it will fall back a little (especially when in the 2500-2300 range)... I believe something is loose because the throttle also can be wiggled gently when set at a particular RPM (say 3000) instead of being rock solid... I'm not sure what to check because nothing other than the friction brake is covered in the users manual. The SELOC manual doesn't go into much detail on the throttle either (unless I missed it somewhere)...

PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2010 12:12 pm 
230 Mike

The lever itself loosened up on mine last year. I just had the shop tighten it up at winterization time. But that's a different thing than the friction adjustment.

Mike
2005 Four Winns 230/240
VP 5.7GXi/DP
1998 F-150 XLT
Boat Pic

PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2010 5:26 pm 

When I took delivery of my boat 3 springs ago, this was one of the things on my punch list after our first shake down cruise. My throttle would slowly creep back. At first one of the tech's tried to tell me it was this way for safety and I was like, how gullible do I look? Anyway, I asked him if there was an adjustment to tighten it up and he said yes, so I said add it to the list and he did. It's been great ever since. There should be a drawing of the access adjustment hole in your VP manual, if it is a VP. To access the adjustment screw hole you have to snap off the black plastic cover and it should be on the lower right hand corner of the metal plate surrounding the throttle handle, if memory serves me right. I was actually in the shop the day the tech was making that adjustment.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2010 5:32 pm 

If you have the same manual as me and it should be very similar, it's on page 32. Talks about the Friction Brake adjustement.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2010 12:47 am 

Hey... Thanks for the comments guys... I have already tightened the friction brake though... to the point where my better half insists that its TOO HARD to move...
something else is going on... I am going to loosen it back down I guess, even though I think it probably helped a little... I need to call Volvo I guess... anyone tried this before? do they have a support line?

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2010 5:50 pm 

VP's contact us page states the following:
Your authorized Volvo Penta dealer is your primary contact for service, product information and Volvo Penta Genuine Parts and Accessories. Your Volvo Penta dealer has a special interest in your satisfaction and should be consulted first if you have any questions or concerns regarding your Volvo Penta product.

Please remember that most customer service inquires can only be handled by your local Volvo Penta dealer who is familiar with your product and your area. We have found that speaking in person with a trained professional eliminates misunderstandings that are commonly encountered with e-mail communication. We also know that situations can be resolved more quickly when all the relevant facts, events and details are discussed in a thorough manner. Customer service inquiries usually involve documents that cannot be handled effectively via e-mail. Therefore, questions that cannot be answered by the website FAQs or your local dealer should be submitted via U.S. mail.

Write to us at:

Volvo Penta of the Americas, Inc.
Consumer Relations Support
1300 Volvo Penta Drive
Chesapeake, VA 23320

To locate your nearest dealer:

Use our dealer locator.

http://www.volvopenta.com/volvopenta/na/en-us/applications/contact_us/Pages/contact_us.aspx

PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2010 9:13 am 

Snail mail? what a great way to discourage customers from asking for help. I guess it's worth a try... I could also try bugging my dealer to let me talk to his Volvo rep the next time he's there...

PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2010 9:51 am 

impulse,

Just curious, How tight is your throttle now? did you notice the added resistance after the friction brake was tightened? I could tighten that screw even more I suppose but like I said, I can really feel the added resistance...

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2010 9:15 am 

It's been perfect actually, smooth action forward or reverse and doesn't slip. If adjusting the friction break isn't working for you, sounds like there may be another adjustment needed. The tech that adjusted mine was Brian at PhilDill Boats. Their website is phildillboats.com and there service number is listed there, if your still having trouble give Phil Dill a call and ask for Brian, they are very friendly, helpfull folks.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2010 1:15 pm 

That's nice that your dealer is so helpful. When I talk to my dealer it is always clearly evident that he's in it to make money and doesn't want to give out information for free... It's always, "I have no idea, I've never heard of that before... Bring it to me and I'll take a look"... I guess I can't blame him for wanting to make money, but at the same time, a lot of people like to do their own work in their driveways and finding information can be tough... I seriously doubt that this is a rare problem since 3 people in this thread have or have had it...