www.iFourWinns.com

Dedicated to Current and Future Owners
It is currently Sat May 11, 2024 2:36 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2010 4:31 pm 
Sting Ray

Memorial Day weekend was great, but I did damage my boat. Long story, the port side was scratched in the blue color band just below the middle cleat while tied in a slip. (I was sick at first, but then realized S**T happens and went on to have a safe and fun weekend.)

Rewind a little, I removed the factory graphics shortly after I purchased the boat b/c I wasn't a fan of the 2007 color scheme on the H200. I was planning on adding graphics at some point once I saw something I liked, no big rush.
Since I now have scratches (isolated to one area about 6" dia), they aren't deep, just enough to get into the gel and not wax out I thought I would ask my local sign store to work up a proof with some graphics to hide the scratches.

So now I ask the experts for opinions- what should I do?

Option #1- Add graphics, if so what is your take of the proof below?

Option #2- Fix the scratches and don't add graphics,

Thanks, Eddie
Proof w/ graphics

As is now

Scratches

PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2010 4:47 pm 
Guppy

If they are not deep a decent grp guy will flat back and polish up like new. Had some like that on mine which a chap that works for me sorted no problem. If deeper they can still be gelled in and made like new. Personally I'd flat it back, polish up then add the stickers as in my opinion they look pretty cool. 8)

PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2010 5:45 pm 
email admin your custom rank

It is a Sailor’s words “Store High In Transit”! so we are allowed to use that word…
Anyway I like that graphic but any good fiberglass shop should be able to repair as well..

PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2010 6:05 pm 
230 Mike

I'd get it fixed, then add the graphics.

Mike
2005 Four Winns 230/240
VP 5.7GXi/DP
1998 F-150 XLT
Boat Pic

PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2010 6:14 pm 

230 Mike wrote:
I'd get it fixed, then add the graphics.

+1

PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2010 6:53 pm 

I graphic is bad but i honestly like it better without. I would see about having it fixed just my 2 cents

PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2010 7:00 pm 
Narwhal

I'm not a huge fan of the 2007 graphics either, but I got used to them. Your graphics are interesting, if you like them, that's all that counts. Fix the gel coat, then add the graphics. I will say that your boat looks nice and clean without any graphics.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2010 7:48 pm 
268 Vista

Get it fixed. That repair should be less than a couple hundred dollars. Once the gel ages, it will be harder and harder to match the blue.

Current Boat: 2004 Chaparral 235 ssi cuddy

PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2010 8:42 pm 
Shark

I like the graphics. Looks good!

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2010 10:11 am 

Repair, but I like it with no graphics. Of course, as my sig shows, I might be a bit biased on this one.

2004 Ford Explorer Limited (V8-AWD)
Pomme de Terre Lake (Southwest Missouri)

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2010 10:48 am 

I'm with pet. Fix the scratches. No graphics. Imagine if you had graphics you would be replacing them now too.

I am not a fan of most graphics for probably the same reason you took yours off. I think they date a boat.

That being said, I have the graphics on my boat. I have debated taking them off. I need to decide soon so the fade cannot be seen in the gel coat. My current plan is the first sign of wear or scratches on the graphics I will remove them without shedding any tears. For now I will leave well enough alone.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2010 12:05 pm 

Here it goes - I don't care for the graphics in the pic, but then again it taint my boat. I concur that it looks like a "richer clean" looking boat without the graphics in my opinion....for some reason the boat seems to look shorter with the graphics - i know that sounds stupid, but to me it does.

If were me I would boat and enjoy and when ready get those buffed or whatever needed to repair....don't look deep in the pics at all.

First trip out with my new to me SS the black graphics on port side started peeling....me and the boy made the repair in 2 mins by snatching them off both sides....this is just my opinion obviously, but i'm not a big fan in stick on stuff. I would yank the rest of them off my boat if it was solid color scheme from bow to stern....my prob is the front 2/3 is red and it is white at the stern.

08' H210SS
VP 5.7Gi

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2010 1:14 pm 

Location: Live Manchester England, Boat Aberystwyth, Wales, UK
Option #2

"If we improve with age I'm now excellent"

Ex 1998 238 Vista 5.0Gi SX DP
Lexus RX300

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2010 4:00 pm 

4WINNS4ME wrote:
I graphic is bad but i honestly like it better without. I would see about having it fixed just my 2 cents

I just read my post again what i meant to say was i dont think the graphic is that bad... but i like it better without. I would see about getting it fixed

PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2010 7:16 am 

The previous owner put a gouge in my boat that runs down the front starboard side less than 12" in length. It's deeper than your scratches, but not through the gelcoat. Right in front of the gouge are flame graphics that the previous owner added on either side of the registration numbers. My old man suggested that when I have the boat re-numbered that I have the decaler move the flame graphics and numbers back to cover the gouge. After looking at it, I was really against the idea because I couldn't do the same on the other side do to the head porthole being in the same location as the gouge on the starboard side. He said no one would ever notice, but I would know they weren't the same. Regardless, I had the decaler look at it and asked him what he thought about covering the gouge with graphics. He recommended against it, saying that in some cases depending on color combos, lighting, etc, the graphics over the gouge may actually make the gouge stand out even more after it is covered up. He said if I wanted that covered that I was probably looking for a perfect job, and he couldn't guarantee a perfect job. He then recommended a fiberglass guy to get it fixed right, although I'll wait until after the season to get that done.

Most of us boat owners are a pretty anal breed and want stuff done right, especially when it comes to our expensive toys. So long story short, fix the scratches, do what you want with the graphics. Even if your graphics do successfully cover your scratches, you'll know their still there and that it isn't right.