www.iFourWinns.com

Dedicated to Current and Future Owners
It is currently Mon Apr 29, 2024 3:57 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2006 11:07 am 
Guppy

Hello,

This is my first time posting, but have been watching the forums for a while... I bought an 06 horizon 180 w/ the 3.0L engine in May of this year. This is the first boat I've owned, and I love the boat. I did notice while using it this past summer that I wouldn't mind having more power and a little bit more room in the boat on the days that I had people over. I was at the dealer yesterday and they had an 07 Horizon 200 on sale. The boat had the 5.0GX/SX package and several options (bow fillers, covers, pull up cleats, sunsport interrior)... I am considering the upgrade, but wanted some feedback from you guys....

1) Is this boat going to be underpowered with this motor?
2) How is gas consumption with this motor?
3) What type of speed should I expect?
4) What price range should I be looking @ w/ this boat? Sticker said 38K, they'd give it to me for 30... is this a good deal or should I hold out for something better?

Thanks,

Jake

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2006 12:30 pm 
230 Mike

I can't answer your questions about performance, but as to price - I would first go to the FW web site and "price a boat" on it with the same options to make sure MSRP is actually $38K. Assuming it is, and assuming the trailer is included and the 5.0 is enough engine, $30K is a decent price. I figure around 20% off of MSRP is pretty good, more discount than that is gravy. I would try to talk them into throwing in the Volvo 2+4 warranty, or selling it at a much reduced price (I paid $150 for it where it normally would've been around $1,200).

Mike
2005 Four Winns 230/240
VP 5.7GXi/DP
1998 F-150 XLT
Boat Pic

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2006 4:17 pm 
Guppy

Mike, thanks... I did price the boat out on FW website, the price is w/ in $500 (my dealer charged that diff in freight)... I guess the Million $$ question for me is if the 5.0 (carborated) is enough engine for that boat... I use the boat primarily for water sports and now that I have it, suddenly there are more "visitors" to my house than I had envisioned when I bought the 180...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2006 4:46 pm 
230 Mike

First, from the FW site I assume the engine in question is the 5.0GL, not GX.

Is a sea trial possible? You know the undeniable truths: 1) there's no substitute for displacement, and 2) if you question your boat's power it'll bother you for as long as you own it.

It looks like the only more powerful option is the 5.0Gxi, which is about $1,800 more (if we apply the 80% rule to the $2,300 MSRP difference). If this is a boat you plan to own for a long time, that isn't too bad for an additional 50hp, the reliability of fuel injection, and the knowledge that you got the most powerful engine available for your boat. But again - the 5.0GL may be plenty. I wouldn't expect the difference between the GL and Gxi to be as great as the difference between a 5.0 and 5.7, for example. And it's not as if carb'ed boats are junk, although I would expect an EFI boat to do better at resale time than a carb, everything else being equal.

There's still a LOT of time left in the '07 model year buying season. If you want the Gxi and have to order it, the dealer should have no problem being able to get it done for you, and you should be able to negotiate a similar deal on it; it's not like that's the last '07 he's going to have and he HAS to get rid of it. He knows another buyer will be along for that one if you don't buy it.

Mike
2005 Four Winns 230/240
VP 5.7GXi/DP
1998 F-150 XLT
Boat Pic

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2006 7:36 pm 
Guppy

Mike,

Thanks... That's kind of what I was wondering.. if this was a great deal not to pass or just a decent price... The dealer would give me the purchase price -2k for my boat on trade @ this point... My decision now is whether to jump on this boat or hold off for a better price or bigger motor, etc... if it were an awesome deal, I'd probably jump on it, but if it's just an O.K price that should be negotiable at a later time, I may just hold off for another year and then decide what to do from there.... I do know that I'm probably not going to buy my next boat in the spring...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2006 8:08 pm 
230 Mike

Nope, it's a good deal but not a drop-everything-and-buy-it-now kind of deal.

Mike
2005 Four Winns 230/240
VP 5.7GXi/DP
1998 F-150 XLT
Boat Pic

Post subject: F/W 180 trade up?
PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2006 11:49 am 
Clownfish

I bought a '06 F/W 180 Horizon 3.0 and a month (20hrs) later traded up to an "06 Horizon 210 w/ 5.0gxi 270hp. I initially liked the 180 but on weekends there were too many large boats in my way. It was uncomfortable for the wife and too small around the Express Cruisers. Although I took a beating on the 180 I got the 210 (new) 33% off MSRP at $29,500. It made the trade worth it and probably the only way I would have done it. The difference in the rides is night and day. In the 180, at 30mph, my wife would hold on tight like she was going to fly out of the boat. In the 210 I can cruise at 35-38mph and she's comfortable. Plus I have the power to outrun the 31' Sea Ray's etc. I regret having bought the 180 but do not regret having the 210 now.

Post subject: 2007 horizon
PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2006 9:08 pm 
Guppy

First I would like to say COOL man!! I have never been part of a forum before...especially one that is about my new boat and Four Winns in particular. Thanks to the webmaster for this!!!

Ya man I just bought a 2007 horizon and am having a blast with it. Mine has the 5.0l merc and has plenty of power and a top speed near 50 mph. It was a no brainer for me (although a little out of my budget) to upgrade to the 200. I originally was looking at 180's. But for a few $1000's I feel that I have definetly made the right choice. Good luck BIGD :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2006 12:06 am 
Guppy

Ok... just about to pull the trigger on the new boat, but not completely sure yet.... The dealer has the 200 with a wake tower in black, but the drive is the merc.... Any input on the alpha outdrive with the 5.0 carb motor?

How much do boats change over the course of 4-5 years. My indecision is in whether I should upgrade now or wait a few years and then upgrade to what could potentially be a much different boat. Does anyone know when the 200 horizon was last re-done? Also, does anyone have a general feel on roughly how much the MSRP for the same boat will increase from one year to the next? I saw the 200 has seen ~1k bump from last year.

Thanks!

Jake

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2006 3:42 pm 
Minnow

I would personally wait until you have a chance to sea trial before purchasing. That, or make the purchase contigent on a sea trail prior to delivery. There's just no way to know how a boat rides and handles until your out on the water with that exact model. A good deal is only good if it's the right boat for you.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2006 9:35 pm 
Tadpole

You might want to consider a used boat - you get a lot more for your money.I bought my 26 horizon with the 280 hp Volvo dual prop for $31k, it was a 01 and I bought it in 04 and it had 125 hours on it. This included a trailer. Bought off of a lake so it was pristine. Don't let the asking price scare you - go to the NADA and offer them that - someone will eventually say yes. yachtworld.com is a great place to start

Big bow riders aren't that much in demand so they are further discounted. They are great family boats we go out ,with our kids and their families plus three dogs and still have room - and the boat moves right along- top end is 40mph.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2007 6:14 pm 
Narwhal

Here's info that's buried pretty deep on the FW website. It gives some of the specs you're looking for with respect to fuel usage, top speed etc for a 200 with the different engines.
http://www.fourwinns.net/fastfacts/fastfact/2007/200H.pdf

In another section, you can pull down the user guide. After reviewing this info, and reading a bunch here, I decided that fuel injection was a must for reliability, so rather than a 5L GL, that the Dealer had in stock, I elected to order one with a 4.3 GXi /SX. Many would go for the 5L GXi/SX 270HP, but I reasoned that the fuel injected 4.3 is a newer technology engine, that's more fuel efficient at slower speeds, and only a coupler MPH slower. Those last 2 -3 MPH cost a bunch.