www.iFourWinns.com

Dedicated to Current and Future Owners
It is currently Mon Apr 29, 2024 9:29 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Aug 20, 2006 9:25 pm 
Tadpole

Hello all. I am a first time boat owner. My wife and I are considering a 2006/2007 horizon 190. The problem is that we own a Acura MDX that has a tow rating at 4500lbs. Do you think we will be ok towing the 190 with that vehicle? Please advise. We dont want to end up harming our SUV. What do you think.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2006 1:43 am 
230 Mike

Depending on how far and how often you'd be towing, and over what type of terrain, you may or may not be OK:

Published boat & engine weight (dry): 2,650#
Weight of trailer (a good guess): 1,100#
Weight of full fuel tank (34 gal.): 221#
Weight of toys, etc. (another guess): 200#

Total estimated weight: 4,171#

So - you're technically within the limit, but not by much. If you've got many steep hills you might be pushing it. I'm 1,000# under my limit and hills are challenging.

Many people who tow (who have a lot more experience than I have) espouse the "2/3 rule" whereby you don't exceed 2/3 of your vehicles published limit. After towing a 6,500# boat the last two years, I intend to follow this rule when it comes time to buy the next truck. This is because I've come to realize that just because you're within your limit doesn't mean there's no additional wear & tear on the vehicle. Towing is hard on the vehicle regardless.

Does your MDX have a factory tow package? If not, be aware that some of the newer "imports" need to have the trailer wiring added by your vehicle dealer; with some of these vehicles you can no longer just tap into the wiring wherever you want to.

If your dealer has this boat in stock (or another one very close in weight), ask for a test tow. I know it sounds strange, but I did that and it made a world of difference in the confidence I had in my buying decision.

Mike
2005 Four Winns 230/240
VP 5.7GXi/DP
1998 F-150 XLT
Boat Pic

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2006 7:20 am 
Minnow

I totally agree with Mike. The 2/3 of rated capacity is a good rule of thumb.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2006 8:29 am 
Mental Floss

My next door neighbor had an MDX he dumped because of a trans issue after towing a 20 ft Mariha bowrider for a year. Te trans began slipping. He was under is rating and "theoretically" the vehicle had the tow package.

I have issues with using a vehicle not "really" designed for towing for towing unless the amount the vehicle will be used for towing is minimal.

IMHO, vehicles like the MDX are "tow rated" simple as a sales point.

'04 FW 288 Vista "Mental Floss"

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2006 3:54 pm 
Minnow

From the Four Winns official specs for the '05 (I couldn't find '06) 190 with a VP 5.0 (depending on engine choice this would be a little off)

Weight in pounds:

Boat: 1830
Engine: 1000
Battery: 40
Fuel: 170
Accessories: 150
Trailer (tandem axle, single is less): 880

For a grand total of: 4070.

The official specs have been pretty close on the weight on my 220.

With all that said, I wouldn't want to tow that much with the MDX more than a few blocks. . . . .

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2006 7:50 pm 
Mental Floss

Boat weight includes the engine....not an additional 1000#

Specs for the '06 190 is 2610-2650#
Trailer 880#
Fuel 200#
Misc 150#

Total 3880# trailer and boat

Your GCVWR includes only one 150# passenger and no luggage, etc in your tow vehicle. So add a familly of four (Dad 200#, minus mom for the 150 alotted, two kids at 100# each) is another 400# and you are at near 4500#

It will tow it. I'd make sure I service the tranny religiously every 20K miles, change the oil every 3K miles and I wouldn't expect 100k+ miles out of it as you would normally for a vehicle like that.

'04 FW 288 Vista "Mental Floss"

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2006 8:27 pm 
Minnow

I towed an '87 Sundowner - (6600# measured on a truck scale) with a Suburban rated at 6,000# max. It was a little sloppy in the rear end and it struggled on hills, but I change the trans oil every year, changed the rear end, used a trans temp gauge and had little problems. At least none related to towing. Pulled the boat regularly 500 miles at a stretch across PA and upstate NY.

Moved up to a Vista 268 (scale weight 9300#) and bought a diesel Excursion rated at 11000K#. Without the computer chip, it was a dog. With the chipped engine, you couldn't tell it was there. No problems. 4 years, changed the trans yearly (end of season) and rear end lube. Installed a quality trans temp gauge (Isspro 270 degree sweep) and never let it get above 200 degrees.

Swapped the Excursion for an F-150 this winter cause I wanted a pickup and wanted to stop driving around in a living room for a daily driver. F-150 rated at 9300# -same weight at the boat with a 1/2 tank of gas. It is a little weak on big hills, but I leave it in 3rd all the time and it is fine. A little bit of rear end sway, but nothing serious. Put about 1,000 miles on it so far this summer and it is fine. I will change the trans oil and rear end this fall and I put in a trans temp gauge.

If I was faced with a 4000# boat and a 4500# limit, I would do it no problem. I would keep the tank empty on long hauls and I would put in a trans temp gauge. Keep it below 200 degrees (180 really, but that is impossible in heavy summer traffic) and change it every season.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2006 5:44 pm 
Goldfish

jh------
You've got some great advice above. My two cents is this. I'd haul it....but only to the local landing. If you need to go "up north".....I'd not push the car. I'd do routine ( yearly ) trannie work on the car, fluids, etc. As it's going to be a chore for that buggy to pull that 4W. Keep it local..you'll be fine. Long haul...it'll do it....but it'll be harder on your vehicle...and a longer ride....as you won't be doing over the speed limit ...and likely under it....to get to your destination.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2006 7:45 pm 
wkearney99

No way I'd push an MDX into towing that much. It's one thing to push a Suburban, Excursion or other truck-based vehicle to it's towing limits. They're trucks, after all and their drive line, brakes and chassis are designed to handle the effort. But an MDX isn't designed anywhere near the same, and for the market they sell it toward that's fine. But no part of it's drive line, chassis or brakes are really designed with towing in mind.

That and the cost of repairs to the damage overtaxing will cause are going to be HIDEOUSLY more expensive on the MDX than they'd ever be on a truck-based SUV.

I might consider trying it once in a while for a short drive, say under 30 miles. But only in the most calm of driving conditions. As in, the middle of the day/night when there's NO stop-and-go traffic to risk.

I've towed too much weight before, have you? Ever had a trailer blow a tire? Thrashed the trailer AND THE towing vehicle around in a COMPLETE 360 spin in the middle of a busy 4 lane road. Damn near spoilt my shorts as we NARROWLY avoided hitting anyone before slamming the tow vehicle into a curb, tossing it's aligment completely out. It tossed us around like it was nothing. Granted, this was primarily due to the blown tire caused by the trailer being overloaded. But had the vehicle been rated to handle that much weight we would've been able to get things under control well before things got out of hand. Instead the combination of too much in the trailer AND the vehicle not being rated for it gave us QUITE a scare. And this was just with a piece o'crap Cherokee. I shudder to think how squirrely an MDX would've gotten in the same situation, not to mention expensive to fix!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2006 7:59 pm 
Goldfish

Kearny99 perhaps said it best.
the car isn't capable....but try it on short haul. Kearny was more generous than me. I'd do no more than 15 miles one way. you can do it at that distance...but it will require regular maintenance..maybe even more than regular.
simply put...the car isn't designed to pull your boat. but, it will work. drive slow and not long distances.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2007 6:14 pm 
Narwhal

I have a 2003 Honda Pilot, with the factory trailer hitch (including tranny and power steering coolers). As you know this is extremely similar to your Acura MDX. Honda states that the towing capacity of the Pilot is 3500/4500, 3500 for trailers under load, and 4500 lbs for boats. Of interest is that Honda recommends use of Premium gasoline when towing near those limits to avoid engine pinging. I'm going to be hauling the boat in my signature over 200 miles 'up north' in a month or so. (Mine comes in around 4100 lbs with trailer, fuel, toys etc.) I do feel way too close to the upper limit, so it will be just me (the driver) and virtually no luggage in the Pilot, towing a boat that's yet to have it's first float. May even forgoe a 'free' full 35G tank of gas from the dealer to save about 350lbs of towed weight. Thankfully after that, it will be local stuff only.