www.iFourWinns.com

Dedicated to Current and Future Owners
It is currently Sun Jun 16, 2024 1:59 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Anchor lights switch
PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2011 11:19 pm 
email admin your custom rank

Working on my LED lights and I was looking at the Nav light switch to try and figure out a wiring issue ( another post in electrical forum) and I realized that the rocker presses at the top turned on the front nav lights and rear white light. When I press it to the bottom turn on the anchor light (what it is labeled) and nothing comes on. What is the anchor light on the Horizon? What light should come on when you hit the rocker to the anchor position? I have no other lights.

Post subject: Re: Anchor lights switch
PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2011 11:39 pm 
230 Mike

Mine is cockpit lights on the bottom.

Mike
2005 Four Winns 230/240
VP 5.7GXi/DP
1998 F-150 XLT
Boat Pic

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2011 12:14 am 

On my FS, the anchor light is the rear white light on the pole.

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2011 12:16 am 
Sting Ray

Anchor position is just the rear white light. Sounds like your switch went bad.

Indianapolis
ImageImage

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2011 6:35 am 

I was wondering if the anchor light just powered the transom white light. I will test it to make sure the switch is fine.

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2011 8:22 am 

When you say the "transom white light." You could be talking about a courtesy light??

The anchor light, there should be a in the stern (starboard side) of your boat a stainless ring about 1 1/2" round with a rubber plug in the center. Pull the plug out & out, at the bottom you should see two pins looking up at you. That is where your pole/anchor light plugs into. That pole could be 2 to 4 feet long.

NOW, if you move that switch forward, both nav lights should come on. To put it simply, both bow & anchor lights. Some boaters call them "your running lights" Moving it down, only the anchor light should come on. From there you should be able to trouble shoot it.

Myself, I mounted a LED anchor light to the top of my arch. No more pulling the pole out!!

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2011 9:10 am 

Paul - I think you are right. Yes, I know the stern (or transom) mounted pole light (have lost two of them as they just do not lock in tight enough when running and the Admiral or whomever is sitting back there does not put a hand around it :cry:

I did not have my pole light in last night when I was working on the LED lights. But as I was sitting in the helm, I noticed the words Anchor or something and thought, hey what does that power. Seeing the one black wire and the one orange wire with blade connectors and zip tied to the wire bundle figured maybe something was missing. I know my boat pretty good, but thought I would ask.

I suspect the anchor shuts off the front navigation lights and leaves the stern pole light on. My buddies Mako has a separate white light that turns on up on his T Top, independent of his nav or running lights and I was thinking maybe my boat was missing it.

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2011 9:46 am 

If the pole comes out that easy, I would wrap, 1 or 2 layes of tape on it. OR, buy a complet kit, socket & anchor light.

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2011 9:55 am 

The light has the black plastic "Screw" down part that once the pole is in connected on the two posts, you screw that down. There are no threads, so it is more of a pressure type fitting. I was debating getting the little pin with wire cable and somehow securing it to the boat.

http://www.westmarine.com/webapp/wcs/st ... sNum=10840

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2011 8:48 pm 

I'm not insinuating anything at all - but, the anchor light switch only powers the all round white light at the stern or up on the arch depending on how your set up. When not under power at night your required to have this light on.....if fishing while not under power or anchored for an overnight stay on the water. Keeps you from getting whacked by another boater.....hence - the name "anchor"

When under power you hit the nav switch - this requires you to have the red/green and white going.

08' H210SS
VP 5.7Gi

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2011 6:35 am 

My boat only has one white light. Pole mounted in the center if the stern up on the top. I have no courtesy lights. If I plug my pole in, the anchor switch lights just the white stern pole light. If I flip it to Nav, the red and green and the same stern pole light all run.

No arch, no fancy courtesy lights on my little bow rider:-)

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2011 8:22 am 

That's right and how it should be working....I do have minimal courtesy lights if you call them that - along the port and starboard sides just above the deck. You will not be reading a book by them, but enough so you can see what you are about to step on.

??? why are you bothering with intall of courtesy lights since you obviously don't boat at night??? I'm not being mean, but if you are planning on boating at night I suggest taking a course to become more familiar with boating lights and what they mean.....if you are boating in open waterways it can be deceiving because barges, sail-boats and larger vessels will have different lighting configurations and you will not be seeing the red/greens on them cuz they aint got em.

You do need that white light working because it can save your butt...even if you don't plan on boating at night, but become stranded.....you know (dot dot dot dash dash dash dot dot dot)

08' H210SS
VP 5.7Gi

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2011 12:22 pm 

TX H210SS wrote:
That's right and how it should be working....I do have minimal courtesy lights if you call them that - along the port and starboard sides just above the deck. You will not be reading a book by them, but enough so you can see what you are about to step on.

??? why are you bothering with intall of courtesy lights since you obviously don't boat at night??? I'm not being mean, but if you are planning on boating at night I suggest taking a course to become more familiar with boating lights and what they mean.....if you are boating in open waterways it can be deceiving because barges, sail-boats and larger vessels will have different lighting configurations and you will not be seeing the red/greens on them cuz they aint got em.

You do need that white light working because it can save your butt...even if you don't plan on boating at night, but become stranded.....you know (dot dot dot dash dash dash dot dot dot)

We should ALL take a boating class!! BoatUS, U.S.C.G. & the U.S. Power Squadron has them.

I just don't feel that this type of post is needed!! We all need help from time to time, lets help each other, but not like this.

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2011 11:02 am 

The white light while running is called a stren light and is used in conjunction with the port and starboard running lights so people can tell what aspect you are runniing in relation to them, at anchor you should only have you white stern light burning to signify you are at anchor. If you are running in rivers, intercoastal waterways, large lakes, estuaries, different watercraft do run different light configurations, the best thing to do is know where you are running and educate yourself for that situation.

Mike

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2011 1:26 pm 

Well, to me it sounds like your setup is working as intended with the exception of a loose-fitting rear light pole.

I had to replace my fixture last season (I think) as my buddy used the pole as a support and pushed it right through into the engine compartment. I ordered an Atwood unit and it was easy to replace. Instead of messing around with tape or pins, it'll probably be easier just to replace it altogether.

Here is a link to the Atwood site:
http://www.attwoodmarine.com/store/cate ... navigation

And just for interest, some navigation lighting rules:
http://easyacdc.com/?page_id=40

Erik