www.iFourWinns.com

Dedicated to Current and Future Owners
It is currently Sat Jun 15, 2024 10:11 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2012 10:54 am 
Tadpole

New to this forum and looking for help.

2004 Horizon....worked great all weekend until the last time I stopped the boat it wouldn't start....a loud grinding noise was coming from the starter and then it sounds like it just whines now without starting. Two years ago I had the starter go out on this boat.

I did reach down to the starter last night to see how hard it will be to remove and felt an ever so slight movement . The starter went out on the boat two summers ago and I had to have a new one put in at the lake we were at. Don't know if the mechanic who put it in had it torcked as much as it should. Since that time we have used the boat about eight times and this past weekend I had the grinding, clunking, and then spinning sound happen.

If there is an ever so slight movement in the starter would that cause my problem?

Also any trick for pulling this starter without pulling the engine?

Thanks,

Marty

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2012 12:30 pm 
email admin your custom rank

Tighten the starter. Should be 2 bolts.
Do not remove the engine.
Hopefully it's just loose.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2012 1:10 pm 
Tadpole

any idea what size 6 point socket that takes and any special type of rachet, extensions, etc to get to the two bolts?

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2012 5:16 pm 

I've done the starter on my 88 a couple of times, I did it without removing anything, but some of the newer boats have fiberglass back there that gets in the way. In mine if I remove the rear seat on that side and the wood bulkheads, I slide the battery back on that side and I can have it out in 15 min. I think the bolts were 9/16ths but it's been a few years. You might be able to get in there and just tighten it, I used a long 1/2 drive ratchet with an extension and a mirror. If you really can't get at it you can remove the exhaust manifold on that side and that should give you a lot more access. I doubt you'd have to pull the motor to do that. Get a mechanic's telescoping mirror and a good light because it's hard to see in there.

2008 Walker Bay 8

1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4.0/Selectrac
2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee 5.7 Hemi/Quadradrive II

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2012 8:05 am 

On my 2008 220 it was a nightmare to replace the starter with all that extra unnecessary fiberglass :evil: !! Four Winns should just leave the engine compartment bare but they won't since they want everyone to bring the boat back for service with them. I would just tighten them up but even on my hard to work on boat I didnt remove the engine or exhaust manifolds just sprayed the two bolts for two days before even trying to remove them. First tug after the second day my uncle 5'6 got them right out. Like a comedian on this forum commented on the removal and installation of the starter your hands will look as if you were in a fight with a lion! Notice the bandaid on my finger in the first picture :shock:

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2012 7:41 pm 

You know, looking at that starter and those spark plugs you posted in the other thread, you must have a salt water leak somewhere in the cooling system of that boat. Look at the manifold drains, line from the transom to impeller, etc. Too much rust for a boat that age.

2008 Walker Bay 8

1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4.0/Selectrac
2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee 5.7 Hemi/Quadradrive II

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2012 9:19 pm 

My uncle did tighten both manifold drains and I have run the boat on the muffs and I don't see any water issues. I will take a second look maybe a manifold drain needs a new o-ring or something???? Got me thinking Thanks LouC. Project time once again Woohoo!!!! :lol: