www.iFourWinns.com

Dedicated to Current and Future Owners
It is currently Sat Jun 15, 2024 11:36 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2007 1:16 pm 
email admin your custom rank

Hello All,

I am going to be adding some stereo equipment to my '06 Horizon 200 and, in preparation for the additional electrical load, want to add a second battery. I am a relative novice at marine electrical systems and was looking for some tips, advice, and/or instructions. I want to run the starter, bilge and other "essentials" of the original battery and the lights, stereo equipment, and other auxillary items on the second batter. I would like to put the battery on the port side to balance out the weight. Has anyone done this before? Is this something best left for the professionals at the dealer? If so, what kind of cost am I looking at? Any diagrams, instructions, pictures, links or general advice would be greatly appreciated!

Sunday Dinner
'06 Horizon 200

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2007 4:22 pm 
230 Mike

I HIGHLY recommend you check out Al's boat improvement pages. Al's a longtime regular over at boatingabc.com. He's also "done it all" on boats ranging in size form 18' to 34'. He's forgotten more about marine electrical systems than I'll ever know.

http://members.toast.net/boatguy/projects.htm

Good luck!

Mike
2005 Four Winns 230/240
VP 5.7GXi/DP
1998 F-150 XLT
Boat Pic

Last edited by 230 Mike on Sun Jun 10, 2007 4:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2007 4:23 pm 
Narwhal

I've been looking at the same. I can help with some links, but am still well in advance of my 20 hour, so don't look to follow in my footsteps.

Here's a link to a solenoid and switch combo from Blue Sea Systems (well thought of in the marine industry):

http://bluesea.com/products/7650

Poke around at the above link and you'll find highly detailed wiring diagrams and explinations of how the 'Add a Battery' package works.

Here's the cheapest place I could find to buy it:

http://pkys.com/Blue_Sea/Switches.htm

In looking at the '07 stock FW wiring harness for a Volvo GXi, I find two sets of cables attached to the positive terminal of the original battery. One set appears to be a 1/0 AWG wire to the starter, and the other set consists of a bundle of 14 AWGG or smaller wires I assume to be the house wiring. It's tempting to seperate House and starting batteries by these two bundles. I haven't spent any serious time tracing these cable sets, I imagine that the alternator must tie into the wire to the starter.

Anybody know if it's as simple as running the bundle set to a house battery and the 1/0 AWG to the starter battery, to achieve a starter battery (charging) and house battery (isolated) system? I'm just looking for a starting point, and then would wire in the Add a Battery system.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2007 10:03 am 

Thanks, Mike!

You weren't kidding when you said that Al knows a bit about marine electrical systems! I don't think I'll be installing a radar tower on my 200, but his battery discussions are very helpful.

I'll keep you posted on my progress and post pictures of the completed project.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2007 10:06 am 

Thanks for the links, Jim! My '06 has the same wiring setup and I made the same assumptions about how you might go about setting it up. I'll kick around the links a bit (and talk with a few folks who know more about marine electrical systems than I do) and let you know what I figure out. If I can pull it off, I'll post some explanations, pics, etc. I've also got a call into my dealer for a quote on an install. I'll let you know what I get back. Until then, work on getting that 20 hours in!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2007 2:04 pm 
Narwhal

Well, I've been methodically plodding through the information at hand, and it to me it appears that the strategy of separating the bundle from the heavy guage wire will work. Each bundle is associated with separate fuse boxes, and the helm power system does appear to control bilge and blower, and have it's own 50A breaker. Very nice.

As far as dealer installation of a second battery and switch, I believe what they will offer is detailed in the owner's manual on page 206, and is labeled 220/240/260 Horizon Optional Dual Battery with switch panel assembly. As far as I can tell, it adds a second battery with Batt 1, Both, Batt 2, and off positions. In essense, it configures a reserve battery. The house and engine (starter) systems are not separated, and the switch must be set to both to charge each battery at the same time. The manual actually recommends to switch use between the batteries each time out. Anyway, individual dealers may be willing to install other configurations like the Blue Sea Systems Add A Battery for a price, one would have to check.

I personally do not like the fact that in the stock dual battery configuration the bilge is wired to draw from both batteries. I believe the theory is that in the event of a small leak, or large rain storm, both batteries could be run down, possibly saving the boat from flooding the engine compartment or even sinking. This may be useful to those who are able to check on their boats every couple of days, but not to someone like me who predominantly boats on the weekends, and sometimes has to leave the boat on the lift for two weeks unattended. My concern is more with running down a battery due to running the stereo, or leaving a switch on, and to me it appears the separation of house and starter systems will ensure that I'll still be able to start the boat if and when that happens.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2007 8:52 pm 
Minnow

can't you just parallel two batteries together?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2007 2:35 pm 
Narwhal

Double Trouble wrote:
can't you just parallel two batteries together?

Sure!, but both will be subject to the drain of an auto-bilge pump, stereo, or whatever. Easier to wire, but not as versatile. An isolater/combiner will isolate the batteries when no charging source is present, and combine them for charging. Add a switch, and the batteries can be turned off, or combined in an emergency for start up.