www.iFourWinns.com

Dedicated to Current and Future Owners
It is currently Wed May 15, 2024 5:21 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2007 7:13 am 
Guppy

I'm in process of buying a boat from an individual...2001 180 Horizon w/Johnson 150 OB. He's been kind enough to tell me about a few minute blisters? that are on bottom of boat (see picture).

Would appreciate anyone to have a look and give me their advise. Doesn't really look like a blister per se, more like a small defect when boat was built as the seller says they've always been there to best of his knowledge.

Thanks,
Paul

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2007 7:20 am 
email admin your custom rank

Looks like ringworms to me.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2007 8:07 am 
ShanMan

Osmotic blistering? From what I understand it's fairly common and cosmetic only. Water penetrates through the gel-coat and the fiberglass fibers expand, or something like that. FW gives you a 5 year osmotic blistering warranty, which has since expired on the 2001.

Someone with more knowledge can pipe in...

http://vista278.com

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2007 9:06 am 
Andiamo

ShanMan14 wrote:
Osmotic blistering? From what I understand it's fairly common and cosmetic only. Water penetrates through the gel-coat and the fiberglass fibers expand, or something like that. FW gives you a 5 year osmotic blistering warranty, which has since expired on the 2001.

Someone with more knowledge can pipe in...

Osmotic Blistering definitely would be my guess! I actually had this happen on my 215Sundowner after 10 years, the last 4 of which were wet slipped in fresh water with no bottom paint! I had it repaired because I believe that the condition will only get worse and you will wind up with a wet core eventually which will cause more blistering and drastically reduce the boats performance. It is a big job to repair properly as the blisters will need to be opened up and the hull will need time to thoroughly dry out, and then in all the spots that are blistered the bottom gets sanded,and the the gel coat gets reapplied. If I remember correctly it cost me approx $2,000 to repair. When I called Four Winns about it, they said that even in fresh water they recommend some type of bottom coat protection. I was pretty clueless because before that I thought that bottom paint was only necessary in salt water! Proceed with Caution!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2007 9:15 am 
Andiamo

ps. Sorry, I forgot all about this until just now!!!

When I 1st noticed the blisters on the hull of my 215 Sundowner, I had a FG guy take a look at it, and he immediately identified it as Osmotic Blistering! I was still not convinced, so to my "Total Shock and Surprise" this guy proceeds to take a knife, and actually opened one of the blisters, and sure enough it was wet inside! To tell you the truth, I did not know whether to Punch the guy or Thank him, but I did wind up giving him the job after 2 more estimates and getting a better feeling for his price and reputation.

My suggestion here would be to solicit a FG guy to take a look before you make any decisions! Good Luck, and let us know how it turns out!

Post subject: Blisters/cosmetics?
PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2007 11:08 am 
Guppy

Thanks for the reply. Still not convinced they're blisters to be honest. Guys says that he's never kept it in water...just on lift and during winter in garage. The way the spots line up (see photo), it almost looks cosmetic during manufacturing.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2007 12:07 pm 
Andiamo

If it's not kept in the water, then you are probably right! Let's hope so anyway. Best of Luck!