www.iFourWinns.com

Dedicated to Current and Future Owners
It is currently Wed May 15, 2024 12:06 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: New overheating problem
PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2007 8:11 pm 
Seahorse

Ok. I thought I had the overheat problem fixed. Now I have a new overheat problem. The boat will randomly overheat at start. By this I mean one day I’ll start it up and everything is fine. The next, It overheats right away. I fiddled around with it and found I was randomly not getting any water from the stern drive to the engine. I then replaced the impeller. This did not help. I fiddled around a little more and decided to take it to the shop. They stated that I had installed the gasket to the water pump wrong and that was causing the problem. So I picked it up and took it out to see what would happen. It ran great! So I decided to let it sit on the lift at my dock for an hour and try it again later. When I lowered it back into the water and started it, it promptly overheated.
I am completely frustrated at this point. I decide to unhook a hose and put water in the engine myself so I can get it to the trailer and tow it back to the shop. After filling the hose and starting it up, the darn thing starts pumping water.
I am guessing at this point I am losing prime and sucking air, but once there is water in the system it is fine. The boat is back at the shop, but they may not be able to get to it in time for my vacation now! Any suggestions on where to look next would be greatly appreciated.

1992 horizon 190
OMC 5.0HO Cobra

Thanks!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2007 10:31 pm 
230 Mike

Some will criticize me for saying this, but if it were me I'd go over to trailerboats.com, register as a new user (if you haven't already), and post the problem asking specifically for help from WeirdWalt. He rubs people the wrong way, but he knows what he's talking about. Just be sure to come back and let us know! And good luck.

Mike
2005 Four Winns 230/240
VP 5.7GXi/DP
1998 F-150 XLT
Boat Pic

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2007 6:21 am 
Mental Floss

Could be a spun impeller. I had a new one spin because I didn't lube it well enough when it was dry. Also, looking at the diagram there is a vent tube associated with the water pump assembly. Could it be a clogged vent tube (68) that is preventing the water flow from starting? I'd disassemble and inspect all the parts related tothe water pump assembly as well as check all the passages relating to the raw water flow to see if there is a clog or restriction.

'04 FW 288 Vista "Mental Floss"

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2007 10:43 am 
Narwhal

I think jvalich is on to something. The theory about losing prime doesn't explain the intermittent nature of the failure to flow cooling water to the engine. If I'm following what you've stated correctly, it sounds like if the boat sits over night, water flows; but if run recently, then the flow of water ceases. Sound to me like an obstruction that dries out allowing water to pass, but then when allowed to sit wet, stops flow. Maybe try blowing compressed air through the hoses to blast out any obstructions.