www.iFourWinns.com

Dedicated to Current and Future Owners
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 6:04 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Power Trim Issues
PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2012 11:18 am 
Guppy

Hello All,

The other day i noticed that my power trim motor did not respond when I click the swtich up. I did however turn on when I click the switch down. So i pulled one of the relays out and went to West Marine to get replacements. When I went to replace the one that i pulled out, there were a few sparks (i didnt unhook the battery) but I put in the relay regardless.

Now...nothing, the motor does not respond to up or down switch. Are all relays (provided the prongs are the same) equal as per the WM salesperson? Did I just blow the trim motor? Any suggestions?

Thanks.

Jim

Post subject: Re: Power Trim Issues
PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2012 11:24 am 
email admin your custom rank

jjtkct wrote:
Hello All,

The other day i noticed that my power trim motor did not respond when I click the swtich up. I did however turn on when I click the switch down. So i pulled one of the relays out and went to West Marine to get replacements. When I went to replace the one that i pulled out, there were a few sparks (i didnt unhook the battery) but I put in the relay regardless.

Now...nothing, the motor does not respond to up or down switch. Are all relays (provided the prongs are the same) equal as per the WM salesperson? Did I just blow the trim motor? Any suggestions?

Thanks.

Jim

No, just because the prongs are the same doesn't mean they are equal. Bring the original bad one to NAPA and or any GOOD or REAL autoparts store and they'll get you the right ones.

I got my replacements at NAPA, $11 or so each.

2003 Chaparral 215 SSI - sold
2009 Stingray 195CS - sold
2000 Four Winns H180 - sold
1976 O'day Daysailer II - sold

Rick's Four Winns H180 Mods/Upgrade Thread

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2012 12:23 pm 

Sounds like you have popped the circuit breaker or blown the fuse if you now have no up or down...but like Ric said, I would make sure you get the correct relay, just because they fit does not mean they are correct.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2012 1:58 pm 

What year is your boat?
Do you hear a click or anything from the trim motor when you try the switch? The motors start to bind up over time and sometimes a little "persuassion" with a hard object to the side of the motor will free it up....
If no click, then I would also suspect the breakers, or possibly the relays as discussed already.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2012 3:10 pm 
Minnow

Jim,

If you have a Volvo Engine, it may be the breaker that is located by the distributor cap. It is hard to locate and you would never think to look there for the breaker for the outdive tilt motor.

Another thing is to look at is the tilt-motor itself. My got full of water. The engine cover lip ends over the top of the motor and any water that drains from the engine cover/sits, will drain on top the motor if tilted correctly. I took a plastic bottle, cut the top off and placed it over my tilt-motor, to prevent any future issues.

I would clean the contacts on your older relays and put them back into place.

If you need to replace the tilt motor, I would recommend to purchase the Volvo replacement part. I ordered an aftermarket motor, I had problems with the installation and it does not seem to have the same power or speed to tilt the outdrive.

Hopefully, this will take care of your problem.

Good Luck,

Bob Mauti