www.iFourWinns.com

Dedicated to Current and Future Owners
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:26 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2013 8:32 am 
Tadpole

Hi Everyone! This forum has been very helpful but I have yet to solve my own problem. So here goes the long story and I hope someone has an answer! I just purchased a 2000 Four Winns 234 funship with a 2007 Volvo Penta 5.0 OSi. I've had this boat out a handfull of times. It will start and idle just fine. When accelerating to WOT the boat planes out and runs just fine. After about a mile it will bog down and idle itself back to around 2500 rpms. The first few times it would do this at WOT but would run at 3000 rpm most of the day. Now it doesnt matter what speed, it bogs down after about a mile on the water. When it bogs down I can pull back to nuetral, wait literally a few minutes and go again without shutting the boat off or anything but it will continue to happen just the same way. I had the fuel cell replaced last week. This past weekend was when it got worse. Dont know if thats coincedence or not. When it bogs down you get like an emission or fuel type smell. This is very consistent. I can time within 100 yards of when its going to bog down the first time. Here is what has been done to correct it:

1) Replaced fuel water seperator- ran with no change

2) Replaced water temp sensor. Ran with sensor plugged in and unplugged. No change

3) Replaced fuel cell. Ran and same same problem only worse (They put in new anti syphoning valve)

4) Knocked check ball out of valve and ran with no change

5) Have tried running with both oil sensors unplugged- no change

6) Unplugged sensors on top of risers- ran with no change

This weekend while water testing we hit a large wake hard and boat died. First time its died. Fired right up and ran normal. With it on muffs later running was jiggling wires and the main plug on the back of the motor killed everything when jiggled a little. Took that off and cleaned. Will still kill the boat but you have to move it quite a bit. I dont see how this would affect my initial problem but wanted to mention it. A friend thought maybe a broken wire in that plug could be acting up when the motor heats up but I dont see how that would send the boat into EPM. Nor do I see how the problem could be this consistent. The only mechanic that has looked at it is the one that insisted I needed to spend a grand to replace the fuel pump.

Any ideas? I'm at my wits end here!

Oh yea, I forgot to mention that the boat is fuel injected.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2013 2:09 pm 
Minnow

I own a FunShip 214, 2005 model with a Volvo 5.0 GXI motor. I have only had it out twice this summer. The first time it ran for about 2 hours without any issues and then it starting to slow down. Since it was the first time out for the season, shutdown the motor and vented the gas cap. Started right up and turned toward home. It ran about 2/3 of the way home and the same thing, motor started to miss and a loud noise coming from the fuel pump. Shutdown for a about five minutes and made it home.

Swapped out fuel filter and was advised maybe water in the fuel problem. The next time, went to the marina to fill up with 100% real gas and continue out. As soon as I got up on plane, the same problem.

Well the boat is currently at the mechanic's shop and is he advising to replace the $800.00 fuel pump, too. The strange thing about this story is my mechanic in the last six weeks or so has replaced five of the same fuel pumps.

My mechanic said it's not a Volvo problem, but the results of running ethanol gas through a marine fuel pump. :cry:

I wish I had better news.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2013 2:35 pm 
email admin your custom rank

Did the old fuel cell have paint peeling off? You might want to check your fuel pressure regulator for debris and get your injectors cleaned.