www.iFourWinns.com

Dedicated to Current and Future Owners
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:47 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: New to forum
PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2014 8:51 pm 
Minnow

Hey Guys! New four Winns owner here! To make a short story long, I started in 1996? With a 1988 Chaparral. Then traded for a new 1991 SeaRay 185 Bowrider. Over the years lots of work, I ended up rebuilding all the interior, but started having a transom leak in 2010, easily controlled with my bilge pump. This year it sprung a manifold leak and the transom leak worsened. Diagnosis - new exhaust manifold and transom gasket/brackets at the in/out juncture. Well, I've been wanting to move up for a long time. It was time. In October I found a 2003 Funship 214. It looked like it had never seen a cover. It was an amazing price from a guy who was a car guy (race car builder), who took it in trade for a car. He had to put in a new block and some out drive lines and had all the receipts. He was a little p'ed because he hadn't known that. So I took it without a test knowing I had a project. I ebayed the SeaRay with full disclosure. My wife and I spent 2 full weeks cleaning, scrubbing, sanitizing, buffing, till she looked new. I had to have the cockpit side panels re upholstered, ordered small parts - new sink, shower sprayers with holders, engine hatch vents, new radio, radio hatch, speakers. I was told the rest of the upholstery had been redone 1 yr ago, but wasn't sure due to mildew on the threads. It cleaned well and I realized it had been done, just cheaply. Later! Then I found there was no shifter cable. That took a couple of weeks, and I replaced the impeller too. Deadline for trial! Got her out yesterday nov 10 (80 degrees) for a maiden voyage with a fellow boater ( for assist). She was awesome!! My wife Susan and I Love this boat! BTW she even used the port a potty! Yes we figured it out! Winterized her today! Freeze tonight! Still will need to replace the throttle lever - sticks, then doesn't -dangerous. Dies a lot, I think I have 50 gallons (she was full) of bad gas. Get engine hatch opener/actuator (was not there). It's heavy! Clean bilge. Install new speakers, amp, LEDS, and on and on. Been reading the forum for a few weeks. Appreciate all the amazing ideas and info. Had to get Scott to help me get registered- thanks. I'll post pics when I get a pic account somewhere. :D
Kwag :)

Post subject: Re: New to forum
PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2014 1:42 pm 
email admin your custom rank

Welcome! It's always nice to see another Funship on here! Looking forward to seeing pictures when you get around to it.

Where are you located?

Erik

PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2014 8:13 am 
Minnow

Thanks,
Is there one of the picture posts that works easier than others? Never used any of them.
In Cedar Hill, Tx suburb of Dallas. Live basically on Joe Pool Lake. It's a relatively small lake, but pretty.
Kevin

PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2014 10:10 am 

I use Photobucket, but there are plenty of others....

Here is a tutorial from another thread:
http://www.smwebhead.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=1877

PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2014 11:10 am 

Kwag,

Welcome to the forum. I'll bet you can't wait for spring. 11 years old is not too bad on age, but it's a shame the previous owner did not believe in keeping it covered and dry. That makes such a big difference. (my 14 year old upholstery still looks great)

I went through the bad gas issue once (water in Ethanol), and had the tank pumped out at a marina. Also found that my gas cap was missing it's O-ring, so water was getting in. Easy fix.

We look forward to pictures and hearing more about your projects.

Ray

prev. boats:
'87 Chaparral 198CXL 4.3 OMC Cobra
'69 Jetstar 16ft Ski Boat, 115hp Yamaha
'68 Aluminum Jon Boat, 3hp Sears
'64 Water Wings

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2014 9:00 am 
Minnow

Okay, still trying to post pics. Got them loaded to a sight, followed directions. It does show the URL, but usually says cannot determine the size.? Even my computer literate wife hasn't got it to work. Been trying for a week. Maybe has to be done from the big computer not iPad. Try more later. Anyway, like I said initially, I've got to put on a new throttle lever. I've been looking at stock four Winns vs a teleflex. Basically same price. Any suggestions? Kind of don't want to stray from compatibility.
Thanks, Kevin

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2014 9:15 am 

welcome

http://www.smwebhead.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=11136
1977 14' CMF Skiff SOLD
2015 Emotion Stealth Angler 11

PostPosted: Sat Dec 06, 2014 9:34 am 
Minnow

Okay,
I've been trying for weeks to post photos. I've read all the tutorials and suggestions. I've got them on photobucket and the best I get is cannot determine the size of image. Tried resizing as suggested down below 400 pixels in height. Any NEW suggestions welcome!
So I got the new throttle control. Went with FW for compatibility..open, inspect, read, etc.. All looks great, everything looks exactly the same except the faceplate a little different. And of course all the externals look awesome compared to my - never cared for throttle lever! Should be an hour to hour and half job.
6 hours later - 10 pm. I set it aside! Too dark, too frustrated. New set of eyes next day. Turns out the internal box is not only slightly longer, the throttle and shifter cables DO NOT FIT!! The slot on the new box is too small to hold the cables unless you totally rebuild the cable connector end. Examination of both boxes reveals the old original box works fine, Susan figured out and suggested ( problems all in the lever and control buttons) and the old box fits the new facing. Putting it together - oh wait put external faceplate screws on before internal lever screws. Take it apart. Both hands reaching around side panel to hold wrench on self locking nuts. (Susan already gave up). Re-do. But faceplate bolts don't align exactly with old holes in the thick plastic box. Okay, put 1 in an existing hole, check it out. No - too high, bottom vinyl edge shows. Remove, move down, different existing hole - too low, top vinyl edge shows. Re center - different existing bolt hole. Just right. Drill 2 new bolt holes in plastic box, Drill out back of plastic box for a little more room, mount bolts, face plate. Whew! Tomorrow attach cables and backing plate, rehang cockpit side panel. Took about an hour.
Got LED cup holders delivered - Amazon. Really cool looking. I'll post pics of them and installation if I can
KWag

PostPosted: Sat Dec 06, 2014 1:59 pm 

Go to http://www.postimg.org, upload your photo, and then click on the "Copy to clipboard" next to hotlink for forums (1)

then go to your post and right click and click paste - the image will show as such:

upload

2013 Dodge Durango HEMI

PostPosted: Sun Dec 07, 2014 1:24 pm 

The picture must not be over 1024 pixels wide by 768 pixels high. If it is larger, you will get the "cannot determine picture size" error.

prev. boats:
'87 Chaparral 198CXL 4.3 OMC Cobra
'69 Jetstar 16ft Ski Boat, 115hp Yamaha
'68 Aluminum Jon Boat, 3hp Sears
'64 Water Wings

PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2014 10:06 pm 
Minnow

Thanks for the suggestions. As I said earlier, I already resized images on photobucket down to 400 pixels in height. Still said it cannot determine the size of the image. So I tried the postimage.org loaded all my pics. Of course there you have to fight through lots of pop up ads and girly solicitations we would rather not see. Also, you can't re size. Did the URL for forums and it does copy between the IMGs. But still says cannot determine size. We will keep trying varying nuances as suggested!
In the meantime the LED cup holders are going in.
Really cool looking- not hooked up yet. Almost there, 1/2 done. Putting in 10. I hate winter and short days! From Prime Industries, with light ringing the top. If you go to their sight, it is $145 for 5!!!. Buy individually for 20 each on Amazon, or 5 for $90. Plan is to hook them to windshield wiper switch since I do not have a windshield wiper. Want them seperate from cockpit lights.
Any further photo suggestions? I'm not real savvy, but I'm really good at following directions. I really am, just not working yet.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2014 10:15 pm 
Minnow

My wife says go upstairs to the computer. There is no right click on an ipad

PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2014 2:36 pm 

I have three different adblockers on my computer, one for pop-ups and similar for the side windows and more "adult" ads. When I use postimg I see no ads, so - sorry for that. :oops:

2013 Dodge Durango HEMI