www.iFourWinns.com

Dedicated to Current and Future Owners
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:53 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2015 3:40 pm 
email admin your custom rank

ric wrote:
I think it's time for some of your buddies to purchase their own boat.

With 3 kids... And each wanting to take a friend... And all of them under 18.... And Her mom and dad... That puts us at ten.

I have seen the funship, It is really nice - it had a head, but not sure of the total size. I just want to be sure that it's not the Yugo of the Four Winns line.

My buddy who had about is currently trying to figure out what is wrong with said boat.

2013 Dodge Durango HEMI

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2015 3:51 pm 

ric wrote:
alex8q4 wrote:
I hear ha. I want from a cuddy to a small cruiser. He is considering going from a bow rider to a deck boat. Just trying encourage him to see one before making a decision.

Cheers

I would do illegal things to own an H290.

you and me both

http://www.smwebhead.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=11136
1977 14' CMF Skiff SOLD
2015 Emotion Stealth Angler 11

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2015 7:45 pm 

fi.na.tine wrote:
ric wrote:

With 3 kids... And each wanting to take a friend... And all of them under 18.... And Her mom and dad... That puts us at ten.

I have seen the funship, It is really nice - it had a head, but not sure of the total size. I just want to be sure that it's not the Yugo of the Four Winns line.

My buddy who had about is currently trying to figure out what is wrong with said boat.

I am kind of in the same boat (pun intended), kids want to take friends, and we want them to so they play with them and we get some relaxation. I have a Vista (That I LOVE) and have considered the funship for several reasons.

1. no one really uses the cabin, it's really a place to carry all the crap we have to take to the beach..more room means everyone overpacks.
2. tubing is not a really fun experience behind the vista
3. I got her for overnights and found my wife gets seasick, so we always tent on the beach. No reason for a cabin.
4. my kids are small and I always worry they will fall off of the small standard swim deck and hit the prop. The swim deck on the funship covers the outdrive (yes I know I should invest in the extended swim platform)

and we never use the head, there's usually a floating or land based bathroom where we go. I have seen several deck boats like the funship and love that you can spray peoples feet off before they get back on board...I remove tons of sand from my vista if the water is cold because people go up the bow ladder I installed.

I have done a few overnight fishing trips myself and the cabin was awesome to have.

I would want to see a funship because I would be very curious about accessibility to critical engine components, if maintenance is pricey (more so than normal) I don't want any part of it.

Just my thoughts

Chris and Alicia
Las Vegas, NV
ALTIVA
1996 Four Winns 238 Vista Dlx 5.8Fi

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2015 8:14 pm 

An engine is an engine. A 5.7GXi in a funship would be no more maintenance wise than a Vista with a 5.7gxi.

I've done some searching and Funships are getting REALLY cheap right now. I could sell my 2003 Chap and step into a 2005 234 Funship without even touching the bank account. Tempting, but even if I haven't spent more than 1 night in my cabin in the last year it's hard to get rid of.

You know what? I've yet to sleep out on the St. John's River. That's what I'm going to do this weekend.

2003 Chaparral 215 SSI - sold
2009 Stingray 195CS - sold
2000 Four Winns H180 - sold
1976 O'day Daysailer II - sold

Rick's Four Winns H180 Mods/Upgrade Thread

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2015 11:19 pm 

ric wrote:
An engine is an engine. A 5.7GXi in a funship would be no more maintenance wise than a Vista with a 5.7gxi.

Yes Ric, what I actually meant was...can you reach everything. I had a little trouble getting to some things on my Vista and I have heard horror stories about other configurations..can't reach filter...etc... You know what I mean.

Chris and Alicia
Las Vegas, NV
ALTIVA
1996 Four Winns 238 Vista Dlx 5.8Fi

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2015 1:57 am 

As far as safety the Vista is going to be safer in rough water than an open bow boat.

2008 Walker Bay 8

1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4.0/Selectrac
2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee 5.7 Hemi/Quadradrive II

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2015 3:07 am 

LVChris wrote:
ric wrote:

Yes Ric, what I actually meant was...can you reach everything. I had a little trouble getting to some things on my Vista and I have heard horror stories about other configurations..can't reach filter...etc... You know what I mean.

That is the kind of information I am looking for. I liked the fact that everything was within reach for winterizing - as in I did not have to rent out a cirque de soleil acrobat to reach the drains.

2013 Dodge Durango HEMI

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2015 9:20 am 

I'll take a pic of my engine compartment later today if you like - you can get a general idea of layout. I've never needed to winterize, so I can't speak to access to drain plugs, etc. The oil filter is no problem and neither is the bilge pump.
The Funship is a good people carrier. I have the 5.7 with the SX drive and it gets up and goes, but if you're looking for a race boat, this isn't it....

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2015 9:49 am 

274 Funship would do it....

2003 Chaparral 215 SSI - sold
2009 Stingray 195CS - sold
2000 Four Winns H180 - sold
1976 O'day Daysailer II - sold

Rick's Four Winns H180 Mods/Upgrade Thread

PostPosted: Sat Jun 20, 2015 7:10 am 
Minnow

We just upgraded from a SeaRay 185 Bowrider to a Funship 214. There is a huge difference! Not only 3' longer(swim platform makes it 24') but also 1.5' wider. And a very friendly configuration! The girls love the potty (cleaning it is pretty easy). Great for hangin, partying, swimming. Unfortunately we have only had it out twice. We are in NORTH TEXAS !!! ALL the Lakes near Dallas Ft Worth are closed! Flooded! We haven't tried wake boarding yet, once the water warmed, we couldn't go out! Our lake is 14' over, you cannot get near any boat ramps! Hopefully by mid July. It's gonna be a short summer!

PostPosted: Sat Jun 20, 2015 1:12 pm 

Congrats and welcome - always good to have more Funships on here!

PostPosted: Sun Jun 21, 2015 9:38 am 

alex8q4 wrote:
For what it's worth, this year I went from a 24' boat to a 26' boat. There was a huge difference in size.

I like the suggestion that you should try to test one out, or at least chill out on one for a bit.

As for 10 people, you are nuts... I don't even know 10 people that I like, let alone want on me boat. :lol:

LOL!!!
I have the 20' H-200 and it has more room inside than so called 22-23' boats because of how they are designed and measured. The modern boats have huge swim platforms that are included in the total length; they do not add to interior space or increase running surface. It is the increase in running surface along with dead rise etc that makes a small boat take the water better....

2008 Walker Bay 8

PostPosted: Sun Jun 21, 2015 9:43 am 

LVChris wrote:
fi.na.tine wrote:
ric wrote:

I am kind of in the same boat (pun intended), kids want to take friends, and we want them to so they play with them and we get some relaxation. I have a Vista (That I LOVE) and have considered the funship for several reasons.

1. no one really uses the cabin, it's really a place to carry all the crap we have to take to the beach..more room means everyone overpacks.
2. tubing is not a really fun experience behind the vista
3. I got her for overnights and found my wife gets seasick, so we always tent on the beach. No reason for a cabin.
4. my kids are small and I always worry they will fall off of the small standard swim deck and hit the prop. The swim deck on the funship covers the outdrive (yes I know I should invest in the extended swim platform)

and we never use the head, there's usually a floating or land based bathroom where we go. I have seen several deck boats like the funship and love that you can spray peoples feet off before they get back on board...I remove tons of sand from my vista if the water is cold because people go up the bow ladder I installed.

I have done a few overnight fishing trips myself and the cabin was awesome to have.

I would want to see a funship because I would be very curious about accessibility to critical engine components, if maintenance is pricey (more so than normal) I don't want any part of it.

Just my thoughts

Walk around 23-25' outboard power; the cuddy has more headroom, the design sheds water, much safer than an open bow, Euro transom design safer on the back end. If you want to get away from the horror show of I/O maintenance headaches OB is the way to do it. Not cheap but better and safer..

While the walk around style would be my first choice, here are a couple of OB powered deck boat designs that are interesting, and big enough to practical....
http://www.hurricaneboats.com/boats/SD-2486-OB
http://www.starcraftmarine.com/showroom ... 250-ob-scx

2008 Walker Bay 8