www.iFourWinns.com

Dedicated to Current and Future Owners
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:06 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2021 1:58 am 
Tadpole

What started off earlier this year as a "well, we're going fishing at Havasu in September and they want an arm and a leg to rent a boat for crappy hours" turned into a ~2 month long search by my father and I for a boat that could comfortably seat up to seven and also be able to fish from.

After a number of misses, we found a 234 Funship a few hours away. Contacted the seller, and on the Friday before Memorial day weekend we drove out to meet them. What should've been a 2 hour drive turned into a 6 hour slog due to multiple accidents and commute traffic (plus folks leaving for the weekend). We ended up getting there so late that another prospective buyer had also shown up and was just starting to check out the boat. We figured that after such a long drive we'd at least take the opportunity to see the boat in person. The other dude spent a good bit of time going over damn near everything on the boat, at which point the owner let us climb up in it while he and the other guy talked. The other guy wanted to do a lake run which the owner did not want to do (hour plus drive away in a lake that would've potentially left muck on the boat).

We were satisfied with what we saw and agreed to buy the boat. Next day we drove out early to get to a bank in time, got the cashier's check, and bought the boat.

About halfway home we got flagged down by someone yelling the trailer tires were smoking... Pulled off to the barely wide enough shoulder and found that the rear bearings were very hot. Lucked out big time that not only was there an exit a half mile up the road, but there was a Les Schwab Tire Center that was big enough to service big rigs, RV's, and trailers right at the exit. Towed on down there and proceeded to spend from ~2pm til their closing time at 5pm having one dude work meticulously to replace all the bearings, grease, and install Bearing Buddies on two of the four wheels (all he could scrounge from two local O'Reilly's and a NAPA). At least one of the old bearings was about ready to grenade and we would not have made it home for sure otherwise. Tipped the dude generously for his help and invaluable information and made our way home. Another day, another 6+ hours of driving.

I spent that Sunday clearing out a space in the side yard for temporary storage of the boat, and after resting up I managed to squeeze the boat and trailer up our narrow shared driveway and between the fencing and bushes to the side yard. Was very proud of myself for that.

Past few weekends have been going through the boat and trailer, adding and / or replacing things that need to be done: trailer lights are all LED's, new trailer jack and spare tire mount are on order, new straps, LED lights for the interior, etc.

Sorting out a few open items I knew I'd have to fix when I bought it - have to figure out if I want to tackle replacing the trim sensor or let a service place do that, have to figure out what I want to do for a stereo (the factory mr301rc remote control has the display / no buttons issue), need to schedule a service check-up for the engine and outdrive for fluids and such. Overall, nothing major, but stuff I want to take care of before taking it out on the water.

There is one thing I am a bit annoyed by - I pulled the instrument cluster to replace the dim factory incandescent bulbs with LEDs, and a crack I'd noticed on the lower left screw mount turned into a ~square inch chunk of the dash falling off. I'm going to attempt to glue it back on, but if there's any recommendations on where I could order a new instrument cluster bezel it'd be appreciated.

234 Funship

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2021 2:02 pm 
email admin your custom rank

Congratulations on the Funship! Looks great!

I feel your pain on the long drives...I did a 10-hr round trip drive (12 hours total) when I picked up our H180 Fish & Ski 10 yrs ago. After an exhaustive search for the right boat to fit our needs, it was time well spent!

Enjoy your time on the water!

Choice of tow vehicle:
'93 Explorer 4x4 (sold)
'05 Grand Cherokee 4x4 w/ 5.7 Hemi (member of the 240k+ mile club!)