www.iFourWinns.com

Dedicated to Current and Future Owners
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 10:51 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2006 7:17 am 
ShanMan

Since we're nearing the end of our boating season, I wanted to fill up the tank in our boat before we went out for the day. I've never filled the tank full, always stopped at $50 or so, and I almost always put in more gas than we actually use anyway.

While pumping I could hear it was getting full, so I moved closer ready to pull out the handle after it stopped when SPLASH!!! Green gasoline sprayed out the fill hole all over me (even in my face), the pump and the ground. The handle finally clicked itself off after at least one second, closer to two, of gas gushing out. Image One second doesn't sound like much, but trust me it is when gas is pouring out.

After it stopped I grabbed a towel and quickly wiped down the boat and myself. Of course, I smelled horrible the rest of the day. When we got home I re-waxed the area where gas ran down the side of the boat.

There is a vent next to the filler hole, but it's for the fresh water. I know this for a fact as I've seen fresh water come out of it while I filled that tank. Where is the vent hole for the GAS?

Was this a defective pump or what? Image

http://vista278.com

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2006 9:29 am 

mine does the same....we just need a catch can man like in nascar.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2006 10:28 am 
Mental Floss

The vent is located inside the filler neck like on your car. All these do this, regardless of brand.

When filling the boat, I listen closely for any gurgling. It is much much less a problem with the fuel computer on board. I know with in 2% of my tank what I've used. When I get close to the number reported used I slow the pump down.

I would highly recommend that everyone install a fule management system. They are easy to install, generally less than $200 and will pay for themselves within one season, sooner with current fuel prices. It's easy to save 1 gal/hr or more in fuel usage by having a fule system.

Also, for those who really like the gadges, there is a filler that will read your level in your tank and display it at the deck filler. It does require an NMEA2000 bus be installed on your vessel.

Fuel Deck Filler Guage

'04 FW 288 Vista "Mental Floss"

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2006 8:12 am 
ShanMan

That IS a neat looking gadget!

http://vista278.com