www.iFourWinns.com

Dedicated to Current and Future Owners
It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 3:02 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat Jun 19, 2010 10:42 am 
Dolphin

Quote:
That has to be it. I was thinking that the self-bailing drains or tube from the drains must be kinked or clogged because that water shouldn't have gotten in there. Maybe the tube is disconnected under there? We have had tons of rain, but it still should have gone out the bailing holes.

The cockpit drains out the through the drain holes, tubing, and then out the small rubber covered holes in the back (I'm sure there is some nautical terminology for this). It's pretty simple to look underneath in the engine compartment and trace the tubing back. The ski locker, side lockers, anchor locker, etc all drain back to the bilge, I believe. So if your covers don't cover the small hole in the anchor locker door then you'll get water in the bilge that way. I'm a little surprised there was that much water so you might check around for other small ways it could get in. You might also check the float switch on the bilge pump, if it's automatic and there was battery power it looks like maybe it should have come on (but it does take quite a bit of water).

PostPosted: Sat Jun 19, 2010 3:00 pm 
Guppy

Dan

Yea, I have a lot to do before I'm in the water, but looks like I'll have all summer. I'm on the Gulf in Northern Florida and the oil has found us and we may see waterway closures soon. The engine sitting in the compartment is a 5.0, I'm going to see what kind of shape it's in and if it's a basket case I will hunt down a 5.7 to put in it. Is the engine area similar to your boat? If so how is the engine cover attached and how are the vent hoses routed? Looking forward to seeing your boat after they rub it out, might give me some motivation to start tearing into mine. Still too hot!

Ski

PostPosted: Sat Jun 19, 2010 3:28 pm 
Shark

Ski1491 wrote:
Dan

Yea, I have a lot to do before I'm in the water, but looks like I'll have all summer. I'm on the Gulf in Northern Florida and the oil has found us and we may see waterway closures soon. The engine sitting in the compartment is a 5.0, I'm going to see what kind of shape it's in and if it's a basket case I will hunt down a 5.7 to put in it. Is the engine area similar to your boat? If so how is the engine cover attached and how are the vent hoses routed? Looking forward to seeing your boat after they rub it out, might give me some motivation to start tearing into mine. Still too hot!

Ski

I'll have to take some pics for you. I'm not sure how everything is routed, so we'll take a look. The engine cover is a simple hinged deal, where, as always, one of the hinges has cracked the fiberglass and broken loose. (Item 39 on the to do list!)

PostPosted: Sat Jun 19, 2010 3:29 pm 
Shark

flaMtneer wrote:
Quote:
That has to be it. I was thinking that the self-bailing drains or tube from the drains must be kinked or clogged because that water shouldn't have gotten in there. Maybe the tube is disconnected under there? We have had tons of rain, but it still should have gone out the bailing holes.

The cockpit drains out the through the drain holes, tubing, and then out the small rubber covered holes in the back (I'm sure there is some nautical terminology for this). It's pretty simple to look underneath in the engine compartment and trace the tubing back. The ski locker, side lockers, anchor locker, etc all drain back to the bilge, I believe. So if your covers don't cover the small hole in the anchor locker door then you'll get water in the bilge that way. I'm a little surprised there was that much water so you might check around for other small ways it could get in. You might also check the float switch on the bilge pump, if it's automatic and there was battery power it looks like maybe it should have come on (but it does take quite a bit of water).

We had tons of rain, so that may have contributed.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 25, 2010 5:26 pm 
Shark

Well, I brought it home to start doing some upgrading and restoration. I've got the new chromed wheels on it with new tires, and I installed the new Polk speakers. Next up is a nice buff job for the trailer, which I will begin tonight.

Tomorrow's agenda includes finishing the trailer buffing, and then waxing it. I'll then move to installing the new Lowrance GPS/Sounder, Sirius weather antenna, and the VHF radio. I'm then gone for four days on a business trip.

When I return, I'll put the VHF antenna on it, rubber dock strip, new Sony stereo, and the swim platform remote. While I'm gone, my mechanic is going to repair the gel coat issues, refinish the exterior gel coat, and refinish the skeg and leading edge of the lower unit, as well as complete fixes or upgrades for other minor issues.

My goal is to get this thing wet a week from today, looking sharp!

I should have some new pics with the new wheels and better-looking trailer tonight. Stay tuned! Things are moving fast!

PostPosted: Sat Jul 31, 2010 8:58 am 
Shark

Well, its been awhile since I've posted, but the 234 is coming along well.

We've had it on the water 4 times now, and it runs beautifully.

Here's what I've done so far: (Pics coming soon)

New tires and chrome wheels for the trailer.
Deep buffing of the paint on most of the trailer.
Axle spindle broke, so that had to be re-welded back into place. The welder said the original welds were a factory defect.
All wheel bearings replaced and new bearing buddies installed.
New rubber rub strip around the hull.
Upholstery fixed--two minor tears and one big hole that I caused.
Cockpit cover holes/tears repaired.
Various interior hardware fixes, strengthening, and repairs. (ex. head door latch, bimini top mount on windshield)
holes in bottom gel coat repaired.
GPS/sounder and VHF radio installed. (Installing VHF antenna this weekend)
Polk speakers added.
Interior cleaned and protected with 303 protectant.
Added blue LED interior lights. (Cool!)

The boat and trailer look 10x better than when we brought her home, and the interior is up to new condition now.

Next up:

New Sony stereo with Ipod controller and swim deck remote.
New, higher capacity bilge pump and float switch.
repair trailer fender
add aluminum diamond plate steps to trailer (This will look sharp!)
Satellite antenna for Sirius weather on Lowrance GPS.
Connect GPS to VHF radio
Re-do trailer brake lines and replace master cylinder. The brakes themselves are in excellent condition, because they've never been used! (The lines are frozen shut and the MS is full of water.) I'll eventually go LED with the trailer lights.
LED navigation lights. (I've got them, but just need to install them.)

Here's the biggie, probably for winter: remove all exterior decals and buff gel-coat back to shine. Then, we'll add new graphics and decals, along with a name and logo on the rear. The name will be "Pieces of Eight!" as a pirate-lingo reference to our eight kids. The logo will be a cool cartoon parrot and treasure chest. (My neighbor came up with this name)

The best part is that my kids are having a ball with this thing. They are begging nearly every day to hit the lake. Even my wife is enjoying it, and she's really not the outdoor type.

I'll post new pics soon!

PostPosted: Sat Jul 31, 2010 10:37 am 
email admin your custom rank

I was wondering where you went. Happy to hear she is coming along and is being put to good use!

PostPosted: Sat Jul 31, 2010 4:48 pm 
Shark

firecadet613 wrote:
I was wondering where you went. Happy to hear she is coming along and is being put to good use!

I've just been busy with work and fixing this thing up. We'll probably be out on one of the lakes again next weekend, weather permitting. I'll let you know. It will be Saturday, if we do it.

Have you been getting your boat wet much?

Dan

PostPosted: Sat Jul 31, 2010 5:45 pm 

DanW wrote:
firecadet613 wrote:

I've just been busy with work and fixing this thing up. We'll probably be out on one of the lakes again next weekend, weather permitting. I'll let you know. It will be Saturday, if we do it.

Have you been getting your boat wet much?

Dan

Every weekend except for two weeks ago. We'll be out next weekend at Monroe.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 01, 2010 4:17 pm 
Dolphin

firecadet613 wrote:

+1.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 06, 2010 7:48 pm 
Shark

flaMtneer wrote:
firecadet613 wrote:

+1.

Ok, the decals are gone and the gel coat has been buffed, shined, and waxed. She looks like a new boat! I'll be taking pics and will post them this week. We took her out today with the kids and then brought it home. I'll be washing it probably Wednesday night, and will hopefully take pics Thursday and have them up by Friday. Then, we'll compare before and after pics. It looks good enough that I'm not going to do graphics on the side. It has kind of a classy, uncluttered look, with one subtle and small navy blue pen stripe going down the side.

The only things left to do are the trailer brakes, a little fender work, some diamond plate on the fender and trailer steps, a name decal for the back, and buffing and repainting the lower unit.

When we pulled into the neighborhood tonight, several neighbors commented that it looked new and that they couldn't believe this was the same boat we brought home in May.

I hate it that we're running out of summer! I plan to winterize after the weekend of October 9. When she floats in the spring, she'll be 100%, including the trailer work.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 06, 2010 8:54 pm 

Happy to hear its almost all done.

October 9th!? That's a month away. Ill put mine away just before Halloweenm. Hope to get a few good color tours in. Having heat helps :-)

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2011 3:56 am 

Awesome! Wish you luck on your restoration and the engine looks really nice. 8)