www.iFourWinns.com

Dedicated to Current and Future Owners
It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 5:36 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Aug 17, 2010 8:25 pm 
Tadpole

I am looking at a used 2001 Funship 214 with a 175hp Evinrude outboard. I have seen many with the 5.0 or 5.7 mercruisers but this the 1st outboard. Seller claims it has just as much power and easier to maintain. I have four kids that like to tube, knee board and wake board. Will this 175 outboard have the power? What are the pros and cons of the outboard? Please help. Thanks.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 18, 2010 8:46 am 
email admin your custom rank

You are going to have to try it out to see for yourself but an outboard to start with is is between 400-500 lbs lighter than an I/O and being a two stroke the holehot will be superior to an I/O in general, plus two strokes also can cruise at a higher RPM than I/Os because of the absence of a valve train as in a 4 stroke motor.

However, in this specific case, this is a 2001 boat, that is when the Evinrudes were still OMC designed (Bombardier had just taken over the bankrupt OMC assests) and you have to make sure if it's an OMC Ficht or the later Bombardier version. The OMC Fichts could be problematical and were a big part of OMC going bankrupt (that and mismangement of the Cobra shift cable recall, plus just bad mangement in general). If it's not a Bombardier motor I'd pass. If it is a BRP engine still get it checked out carefully.

Pros: less weight, better performance, safer, [no concern with fuel fumes in the bilge causing explosion risk], can be used late in the season because OBs are self draining (I/O you have to manually drain)
MUCH easier/faster to winterize
Big one, no rubber bellows that can leak and sink the boat
No ujoints in the drivetrain so it can be trimmed up higher and better in shallow water regions
More corrosion resistant, no need to replace manifolds and risers every 5 years like you do with I/Os in salt water

Here in Salt Water land there are a split of 30% OBs, 30% Inboards and 30% I/Os but any boat that is used for real work is either OB or Inboard, not I/O...

Cons: some repairs are more expensive than I/Os, parts are more expensive, if you are in a freshwater region service may not be as available as it is for I/Os
Not as easy to use for watersports, no swim platform, you need a pylon for tow ropes...

2008 Walker Bay 8

1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4.0/Selectrac
2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee 5.7 Hemi/Quadradrive II