www.iFourWinns.com

Dedicated to Current and Future Owners
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 7:45 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2011 7:01 am 
Clownfish

I am installing the switch on a 2005 214 Funship and my question is this, what wire do I connect to the switch for house circuits/where is it located? My goal is to have one batt for starting and the other for the stereo/house/accessories. I have a good understanding of the rest of the wiring, but don't understand where to locate the house circuit wire to connect to the switch. I'm probably over complicating this but would really appreciate the help! Also posting this in the Electrical Stuff section.

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2011 8:17 am 
email admin your custom rank

For give me!! On smaller boats like yours, general there is no distinction between house and starting wiring.

I started out with a 19 footer and worked my way up. What I have done to my boat is add a 2-way battery switch and than add a combiner. http://www.yandina.com/c100InfoR3.htm

No matter which battery the switch is on, if there is a charge being put out by the engine the combiner will close and both batteries will be charging. Once that that charge voltage is gone the combiner will open, disconnecting the batteries. What I like to do, leave the slip on battery #1. As the engine is running both are being charged. Anchor, have fun!! Upon restarting, switch to #2, go home and again both are charging.

In doing it this way, you KNOW both batteries can start the engine on any given day. If you only use 1 battery alone for the house, you will never know if that battery can put out enough to start the engine.

What the ACR will not not do is allow you to switch to ether battery in starting. That is were a combiner (you can add a manual switch to the combiner so both batteries will start the engine) and a battery switch come into play

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2011 7:36 pm 
Clownfish

Thanks for the insight Paul! That would explain why I haven't been able to figure this out. I guess I will have a Dual circuit battery switch and automatic charging relay for sale!

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2011 8:00 pm 

You have it, install it. Just use the dual battery switch as I had mention.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2012 7:24 am 
Clownfish

Well after a year of having the switch and automatic charging relay, I finally got around to ordering the battery cables and fuses (genuinedealz.com) needed for installation. BlueSea Systems has AWESOME customer service. I had a bad ACR and they replaced it immediately. Evidently the ACR has a lifetime warranty. Everything works perfectly now!
I also added a single bank on board battery charger that charges both batteries via the ACR.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2012 9:19 am 

You'll appreciate having the dual battery set-up!