www.iFourWinns.com

Dedicated to Current and Future Owners
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 4:58 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Towing
PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2011 5:54 pm 
Minnow

Hello Everyone. I just bought a 2005 234 funship and I am excited to use it. My questions is the weight. It has been listed online anywhere fron 4600-4900 lbs. I have got a reciever hitch thats rated 5000 lbs and a ball rated 6000. Will that work. Or am I pushing the 5000 max.

Post subject: Re: Towing
PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2011 6:09 am 
email admin your custom rank

I would say so! That 4600-4900lbs is what is called "dry wight". Meaning, no fuel, water, & gear. At 6lbs per gal, if you have 20 gals of fuel, that alone is over 100lbs. Now add your anchor and rode, dock lines, fenders, VHF, PFDs & anything "you" put on that boat. I am sure you would hit another 100lbs if not more. I would go with a class 4 hitch, but thats me. I would hate to have my boat break loose from me as I am driving.

Now with that being said, what about the trailer? Again I am guessing, it is most likely in the 600 to 800 range. If we use ALL low numbers, boat 4600, fuel 200, gear 100 & 600 for the trailer. Total 5,500 lbs. As to total "GROSS WIGHT" for the towing SUV/truck, now you must add any thing (even your self) that you put in it. So if your "GTW" & what ever goes into the truck = "GCWR"

Read this link: http://auto.howstuffworks.com/auto-part ... weight.htm

Forgive me, I am NOT tring to be a "wet banket" but you need to know what you are getting into!!

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2011 4:27 am 

gladmark wrote:
Towing is the process of pulling or drawing behind a chain, line, bar or some other form of couplings. Towing is most visibly performed by road vehicles, but anything from waterborne vessels to tractors to people can tow cargo. Troop carrying and cargo carrying gliders were towed behind powered aircraft during WWII and remains a popular means for modern leisure gliders to take off. In the maritime industry in particular, towing is a refined science.(of a motor vehicle or boat) Pull (another vehicle or boat) along with a rope, chain, or tow bar. (of a person) Pull (someone or something) along behind one..

And this has what to do with boating?? :lol:

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2011 7:42 am 
wkearney99

Paul I. wrote:
And this has what to do with boating?? :lol:

Nothing. It appears to be spammers that scour the web looking for keywords and posting almost-relevant text. Mainly as a means to get their links into search engines based on link ranking of the forums.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2012 8:58 pm 

Check the actual receiver high not the removable piece...you may have a heavier duty receiver than you do insert...my Dodge 3/4 ton diesel came with a 10k receiver and 5k insert...go to a hitch store and see. You may just need a 10k insert with large shank 7k ball. If not get a new system. Money spends easier than blood.

08' H210SS
VP 5.7Gi